General discussions V2
EI2GLB
Old Man

Why so much Ram usage

Post by EI2GLB »

Hi All

I have a 4 core I5 that isn't anything great but not the worst either,

16gb Ram

I use a Flex 6500 so have smart SDR open and usually 2 Slices decoding FT8 on 2 bands

Now all of this uses less ram than Log4OM just sitting there doing nothing,

Smart SDR + 2 open WSJT-X programs is usually about 500MB depending on how busy the bands are,

Log4OM with the cluster off and only rigcontrol active hovers from 750 to 1.2GB of ram usage,

That's a serious amount just to sit there doing nothing??

Any reason why it's so resource hungry and any way to trim it down,

Thanks
Trevor
EI2GLB
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Re: Why so much Ram usage

Post by IW3HMH »

Hi Trevor,
large amount of data in memory is due to the large number of database we keep in memory to reduce disk access while retrieving data from Log4OM archives (like, but not only, clublog, worked list, states, countries, etc). But it's not the only reason.
Basically the .NET framework is allocating all the required memory plus an amount of memory that is used for caching information. This part of memory is kept until the OS will need it to serve another application.

The memory load is not a "malfunction" index, but the sign of the use of the memory by the system to speed up activities, memory is a buffer, keeping it empty is like having 200hp on your car and use only 20 for the entire life in order to have "margin" for something else. The problem is not to have 16Gb used, but the inability to find something to trash to make space for another application when the 16gb are fully used.

Hope that answer will help you (as a reference, check how much RAM is using a single Chrome browser in memory after some usage)
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
EI2GLB
Old Man

Post by EI2GLB »

Thanks for the reply Daniele yes I see that Chrome is a resource pig alright,

I think I need to consider a better PC as with the Flex and multiple FT8 screens I am running out of steam,

Trevor
EI2GLB
N8HO
Novice Class

Post by N8HO »

My computer runs fairly slow. Does anyone have a recommendation for a Windows based computer? CPU, RAM, etc.
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

Howard,

I'm sure other OMs will chime in with suggestions with respect to computers. Current high speed processors, SSDs, plenty of RAM and on and on. I've shopped around a little bit, but my budget won't allow for a new PC at this time so maybe in the future I'll be able to get one. When the time comes I may get a small format mini-tower for my ham radio use as opposed to the laptop I currently use.

In fact, my current laptops (between my wife and I we have 3) are all very old and none of them even qualify for the minimum requirements for the new Windows 11 O/S.

That being said you can adjust a number of items in Log4OM V2 that can tailor your usage as it comes to performances. Mine will slow down a lot during the various weekend special events and the clusters are overloaded with traffic. That really slows my system down, so I adjust just what all the cluster feeds Log4OM V2. I can easily tailor that via the CC User APP as I mostly use the VE7CC cluster.

I've put a screen clip of my "aged" Dell D830 laptop specifications and I've also copied my current "performance" selections.
Attachments
ki5io_performances.JPG
ki5io_performances.JPG (64.28 KiB) Viewed 1747 times
ki5io_Laptop-Specs.JPG
ki5io_Laptop-Specs.JPG (41.59 KiB) Viewed 1747 times
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
N1FG
Advanced Class

Post by N1FG »

Nolan -

Although I'm not, in general, having issues with performance of Log4OM2 this post of yours is great and I have modified my settings to be more in tune (pun intended) with my own activities.

Just wanted to shout out a thank you for the advice.

73, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Larry N1FG