Question On CW QSO's and Logging with LOG4OM

General discussions V2
G0VSS
Novice Class

Question On CW QSO's and Logging with LOG4OM

Post by G0VSS »

Hi,
I use cw a lot, operating with a straight key and logging QSO's manually, so I have no experience with using software for CW tx and rx or contesting.
However I do use WSJTX integrated with Log40M for logging, so have experience in setting stuff up.

I have the Microham DXP which has the K1EL chip and I have set up tx CW with the Microkeyer application in Log40m. I understand that / as far as I am aware, Log40M does not decode cw. So using the Log40M Winkeyer option for tx, which software is the most commonly used for decode and does this in any way place the received text into LOg40M and how in practice does this work (e.g. with 2 windows open - one for Log40M and one for the received text from another s/w prog ??).

I have seen the integration with FLdigi / Log40M, so is this the one that's preferred and does the text from the QSO get imported or perhaps shows on the Log40m Winkeyer screen ? is that the way it works ?

I am using the latest version of Log40M and the latest version of K1EL chip, if you need to know anything else about my set up, please let me know.

Perhaps there is a Youtube video or any support info that covers this aspect, but I cannot see anything.

Your help and advice would be appreciated

Thanks
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Question On CW QSO's and Logging with LOG4OM

Post by G4POP »

Apart from the Mk 1 ear the best decode software for CW IMHO is MRP40
73 Terry G4POP
G0VSS
Novice Class

Post by G0VSS »

Hi Terry
Thanks very much for the information - yes I have had a look at MRP40, but not tried it yet - I will do. CW Decoder from WD6CNF is the best I have seen but very limited by the fact that it does not have a logbook function.

Equally as important for me to know is the 2nd part of of my question as to how the decoding software would be used with Log40m / winkeyer option ?

I should be able to sort out the CW transmit and of course the entry of the callsign of my qso partner, but does the RECEIVED qso text (decoded by MRP40 for example) appear in the winkeyer window together with the transmitted text ? or not ?

Or do you have to go to the rx window of MRP40 to view the received text before flipping back to the winkeyer window to do the reply ?

I think the created log in MRP40 can be automatically collected by Log40M and logged, so I assume there is no real benefit no real benefit in using CW software that cannot be integrated with Log40M ?

Thanks
Ray
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

No the received text is not displayed in Log4om just log in mrp40 using the Log4om ADIF monitor to retrieve the QSO data
73 Terry G4POP
G0VSS
Novice Class

Post by G0VSS »

Hi Terry
OK all understood, wishful thinking on my part !!
Thanks for your help
Ray