Cluster (F8) Scrolls Slowly

General discussions V2
N4RF
Advanced Class

Cluster (F8) Scrolls Slowly

Post by N4RF »

After having Log4OM on for an hour or two, the cluster (F8) scrolls slowly and finally won't move at all. Other Log4OM functions also slow down over time and eventually cease to function.

I just upgraded to a new Core I5 computer with a big solid state hard drive and a bunch of RAM. The new computer did not help.

I was told that it may be a memory leak or something like that. If I reboot Log4OM, it is one again responsive, but for only a short time.

I am not having this problem with other programs. Upgrading to 2.19.0.0 did not make a difference.

Bob N4RF
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Cluster (F8) Scrolls Slowly

Post by G4POP »

Pc spec and what is?
73 Terry G4POP
N4RF
Advanced Class

Post by N4RF »

Hi Terry,

It is new a Dell Core I5 desktop that was selected by my local computer repairman. I bought from Dell directly based on his recommendations. It has a large solid state HDD and a lot of memory. Everything works fast and nice, but Log4OM slows down the longer it is on. I must reboot several times each day to keep the speed up. If I leave it on overnight Log4OM is frozen and I need to use Task Manager to exit.

The first sign of a problem is trying to scroll down a cluster.

Bob
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Are you using skimmers/RBN?

Try throttling the cluster in the performance tab by respecting some lookup options
73 Terry G4POP
N4RF
Advanced Class

Post by N4RF »

Terry,

I didn't see the performance tab you refer to, but I did see in Settings - Program Config - Cluster a setting to manage the "maximum cluster items". It was 1000 and I reduced it to 250. I also eliminated a second cluster screen from View - cluster view. It has additional information that I probably don't need, so that should help unclog the pipeline.

Am I on the right track?

I think it is better now. I will keep an eye on it ans report back to this forum.

Thanks again for your help and dedication to Log4OM Terry. We really appreciate it and I will send off another donation to show my gratitude for a terrific logging program.

Bob N4RF
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

Bob,

Images below show some locations you can tweak / adjust and check performance to see if any given item are causing the 'drag'.

I have a very old (2007) Dell D830 laptop that I've simply labeled: "Old & Slow". I have to throttle a number of items else the processor on the Dell D830 runs it little legs off and just slows things down.

I even tailor the ve7cc-1 cluster I use for spots that work best for me. I'm 99% CW so don't want to see FTxx spots or RBN spots (save for special times/events). That helps funnel the flow from the cluster(s) as well.
Attachments
Config_Performances-medium.JPG
Config_Performances-medium.JPG (138.93 KiB) Viewed 2155 times
Config_Cluster-medium.JPG
Config_Cluster-medium.JPG (244.82 KiB) Viewed 2155 times
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Try also

Settings/Program configuration/Program Settings/performances and un-check any of the 4 choices that you dont require

Try also Settings/Program configuration/Voacap and disable it if you dont use the propogation facility
73 Terry G4POP
N4RF
Advanced Class

Post by N4RF »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have followed all the advise and it is better. Not great, but better.

The cluster is still "sticky" when scrolling, but better. I am running Log4OM full screen now vs. half screen. It requires less scrolling.

My issues are compounded by less that wonderful Internet bandwidth, I suppose.

Again, thanks!

Bob N4RF
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

That would do it
73 Terry G4POP
G4AON
Old Man

Post by G4AON »

N4RF wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 20:19 Thanks for all the suggestions. I have followed all the advise and it is better. Not great, but better.

The cluster is still "sticky" when scrolling, but better. I am running Log4OM full screen now vs. half screen. It requires less scrolling.

My issues are compounded by less that wonderful Internet bandwidth, I suppose.
DX Clusters send text, which uses very little bandwidth, so you would have to have wet string for a connection before it causes problems.

I am using an old Dell Optiplex, i7, 3.4 GHz, with 16 GB of RAM, 256 GB SSD and Win 10 Pro (64 bit). The PC has two monitors, with Log4OM full screen on one. I run a local CW Skimmer Server on the same PC, it is skimming 7 bands and uploading the spots to the RBN, I also pick up spots from the VE7CC cluster and feed them to Log4OM.

I don't have any issues with the program being sluggish and it has pretty much everything set to default, except that I limit the spots to EU origin and CW only. The version is 2.19.0.0, but I didn't have any sluggish behaviour with earlier versions. I don't have any spot filtering set on the VE7CC cluster.

Windows Task Manager shows Log4OM using typically 2% or less of CPU, very occasionally peaking at 13%, with 665 MB of RAM used. Overall use of all programs is less than 20% CPU and 35% memory for everything. Disk activity is zero and network use is near to zero too.

In days of old, Windows used to buffer almost everything to the hard disk drive, with an SSD and a lot of RAM, everything should be a lot smoother. It's worth checking the overall processes on your Task Manager.

73 Dave G4AON