USER GUIDE Access Not Working

General discussions V2
WA2SQQ
Old Man

USER GUIDE Access Not Working

Post by WA2SQQ »

I just discovered a very strange problem. I wanted to search the operating manual for LOG4OM to learn about "throttling". Went to the HELP menu and selected User Guide. It started to load and abruptly aborted. Next I decided to force a new download of the manual. Same exact experience. It appears the method to access the User Guide is broken. Not sure where to start looking.
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: USER GUIDE Access Not Working

Post by KI5IO »

WA2SQQ wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 13:24 I just discovered a very strange problem. I wanted to search the operating manual for LOG4OM to learn about "throttling". Went to the HELP menu and selected User Guide. It started to load and abruptly aborted. Next I decided to force a new download of the manual. Same exact experience. It appears the method to access the User Guide is broken. Not sure where to start looking.
Bob,

Just did a "force download" here and it worked FB.

In the past (multiple years ago) I started having problems opening the User Guide (a PDF file) and found it was related to the Adobe Acrobat Reader APP. Not sure what it was, but I changed over to the "free" FoxIt Reader" and have not had any issues since. What you described is what (as best I recall) I was experiencing.

That being said here is a link to look at the FoxIt Reader and I've also included the link to the Log4OM Website where you can also download the same PDF User Guide.

Log4OM U.G. URL: https://www.log4om.com/resources/

FoxIt PDF Reader URL: https://www.foxit.com/pdf-reader/
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
WA2SQQ
Old Man

Post by WA2SQQ »

Thanks Nolan. I'm using the Adobe reader. I have downloaded the manual and outside of LOG4OM it opens the manual just fine. I don't think its the reader - perhaps something in how LOG4OM implements the reader to open the file?
WA2SQQ
Old Man

Post by WA2SQQ »

So getting back to my original task, I wanted to learn more about "throttling". Downloaded the latest version,(4/28/2022) and did a word search for "throttling". No match ...
WA2SQQ
Old Man

SOLVED: USER GUIDE Access Not Working

Post by WA2SQQ »

Just figured out the problem. During the last Windows 10 update, MS changed the association with PDF docs to the Microsoft Edge browser without notifying the user. I previously used the Adobe PDF reader. I manually changed the PDF association back to Adobe and all works OK. So Nolan, your suggestion was somewhat correct. In my case I was able to manually open PDF docs because I manually selected the Adobe reader.
Hopefully this can help others.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

WA2SQQ wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 14:59 So getting back to my original task, I wanted to learn more about "throttling". Downloaded the latest version,(4/28/2022) and did a word search for "throttling". No match ...
If you hover over the question mark alongside the 'Cluster throttling' check box it explains that it intervenes when the number of spots exceeds the threshold set in the cluster settings (Cluster overload control and Cluster batch)

This stops cluster overloading when hundreds of spots per minute are being received like when using an RBN or during a maximum activity period for slow computers or internet connections.
73 Terry G4POP
WA2SQQ
Old Man

Post by WA2SQQ »

Got it, thanks!