Understanding the Log4OM guide language for QSL management ?

General discussions V2
k3uk
Advanced Class

Understanding the Log4OM guide language for QSL management ?

Post by k3uk »

I have read the user guide section on QSL/QSO management for DXCC awards many times. I have stared at the examples on pages 102-103 many times also. It might as well have been written in Greek because my brain is too feeble to comprehend it at all. What is the "normal" way users set this up if using LoTW ? When a QSO has just finished, its logged . Assume I want to QSL every QSO. I am confused about the Worked , R ,Y ,or Q'd settings needed ? Also, if I am sending logs to both QRZ and LoTW under "type" do I create a separate one for each ?
Andy K3UK
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Understanding the Log4OM guide language for QSL management ?

Post by KI5IO »

k3uk wrote: 29 Jul 2022, 21:54 I have read the user guide section on QSL/QSO management for DXCC awards many times. I have stared at the examples on pages 102-103 many times also. It might as well have been written in Greek because my brain is too feeble to comprehend it at all. What is the "normal" way users set this up if using LoTW ? When a QSO has just finished, its logged . Assume I want to QSL every QSO. I am confused about the Worked , R ,Y ,or Q'd settings needed ? Also, if I am sending logs to both QRZ and LoTW under "type" do I create a separate one for each ?
Andy K3UK
Andy,

Have you also watched the Y/T videos that Terry has created concerning confirmations? There are three videos and I've put the links to each below.

Confirmations #1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yuxJhVEFFI

Confirmations #2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xingbq1d-4o

Confirmations #3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cthCCVwkXg
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
k3uk
Advanced Class

Post by k3uk »

Thanks Noland, I did a few weeks ago when very new. I'll visit them again tonight.

When you set the config under "Confirmations" is the config supposed to return on future sessions? It is blank when I boot the software. What is the floppy disc icon supposed to do after clicking on it ?

Andy K3UK
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

k3uk wrote: 30 Jul 2022, 00:45 Thanks Noland, I did a few weeks ago when very new. I'll visit them again tonight.

When you set the config under "Confirmations" is the config supposed to return on future sessions? It is blank when I boot the software. What is the floppy disc icon supposed to do after clicking on it ?

Andy K3UK
Andy,

Once you make your selections for LOTW, eQSL, QRZ, etc.. You tap on the disc icon to "save" that configuration for that service.

You have to do that for "each" of the service.

Below is an image of what I have set up for LOTW with my installation of Log4OM V2.

Going forward that information is saved and you also have to tap the save / exit button when you are done working in the configuration section.

How do you know it is blank when you turn on Log4OM V2? Do you always go into Configuration / Confirmations to look at those fields? If you do that I'm not sure why you are doing such. Once you set your choices and save them they will be there for each future use of Log4OM V2. Of course you can change them whenever you like should you find that you want to make a change in how you deal with the QSO confirmations.
Attachments
confirmations.JPG
confirmations.JPG (78.86 KiB) Viewed 1068 times
Plano, TX
k3uk
Advanced Class

Post by k3uk »

Thanks, here are my settings for LotW and QRZ . I have the External Services set correctly; I think.
Andy K3UK
Attachments
log4puzzle2.png
log4puzzle2.png (82.83 KiB) Viewed 1062 times
Last edited by k3uk on 30 Jul 2022, 05:15, edited 1 time in total.
k3uk
Advanced Class

Post by k3uk »

After reading some more and watching videos, I have lots more questions!

The first column in the chart Terry referenced has Y meaning Yes. Can I ignore this option totally if all I want to do is automatically send my confirmation daily to LoTW and QRZ ?

The second line No No ... Despite several YouTube folks showing us to set things to NO and NO , the second line seems to me that I would never want to use these settings if I always wanted to send electronic confirmation. Is that correct? If so, someone wanting to upload all QSOs on an ongoing basis (as opposed to old QSO) should ignore this option ?
?

The user guide mentions "QSL card" can I just make sure that this is not some reference to paper cards that one may be printing ?

For those of us wanting to send all daily QSO to LoTW or QRZ, setting things to Requested is the setting we want ? or should we always use Queued ?

Andy K3UK
Attachments
log4OMQSLpuzzle.png
log4OMQSLpuzzle.png (187.44 KiB) Viewed 1062 times
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

Andy,

I'm an old-fashioned operator. In my log when I save a QSO it is saved with the label of "N" = "No". Reason being is that it has not YET been sent to LOTW, QRZ or whomever.

Once I have Log4OM V2 process the sending of the QSO to LOTW, QRZ or whomever the program will change that "N" = "No" to a "y" = "Yes".

I do not use the Queued or Requested options in my logging.

The reason that the "Q" and "R" items are there is due to the ADIF standards/rules/requirements that suggest such labels be used.

To me the "Q & R" add confusion, but that is just me and my gray matter. As I noted, I'm "old school" ... Y = Yes and N = No. Either I've sent the QSO to whomever or I have received a confirming QSL from the other OM. Y & N works FB for me.

Lele and Terry have made the 'old school' Y & N work in Log4OM V2, but many OMs also like to use the other options.

Now ... if you decide to have your QSOs use Y & N you will also need to tic a box at: Configuration / External Services / LOTW that addresses the "upload flag". That only impacts the "flag" label for LOTW, but it works hand in glove with your choices for each service in the Confirmations tab.

If you make a switch to what I call 'old school' it will only impact your saved QSOs going forward and it will only impact the service you make the change for. IE: You can have each service set up differently, but that would confuse me ... so I try to keep it all as simple as possible.
Plano, TX
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

As you are both in the same time zone (More or less) it might be beneficial if Nolan helps Andy direct to save time and loads of typing, any issues that Nolan cant resolve he can then contact me direct for guidance.
73 Terry G4POP
k3uk
Advanced Class

Post by k3uk »

Noland, I did not receive an email from you let. I will be happy to call you at a time of your convenience. I think Terry is correct, it would save a lot of typing. I am in New York.

Andy K3UK
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

k3uk wrote: 30 Jul 2022, 18:23 Noland, I did not receive an email from you let. I will be happy to call you at a time of your convenience. I think Terry is correct, it would save a lot of typing. I am in New York.

Andy K3UK
Andy,

Send me a "direct" e-mail at my address listed in QRZ.com ...

For some reason my e-mail's being sent directly to you are being blocked some way.
Plano, TX