Apply configuration settings to ADIF imports

KZ3L
Advanced Class

Apply configuration settings to ADIF imports

Post by KZ3L »

Hello,

Feature suggestion: Add an option to apply configuration file settings to an imported ADIF file for fields that are not imported.

Here's my use case: I use a simplified QSO logger on the iPad and iPhone (Hamlog) when operating portable, such as during Parks on the Air activations. Screen real estate is limited and I want only the bare essential fields to be logged in the field: Date/time, call, RST sent/received, and their Park (if a park-to-park QSO). This is then exported to an ADIF for importing into Log4OM.

But after I import the ADIF, I need to spend a fair amount of time in the QSO Manager to update the other fields that matter to me: county, state, grid square, reference award ("POTA / K-XXXX", which can't be imported anyway), my standard QSL comments field, operator call, name, rig, power level, antenna, etc. All of these fields are available and pre-set in my configuration file for that park, but those are all ignored upon import and end up being blank. Filling in these vacant fields necessitates applying a combination of the "Single field update" tab, the "My Update" tab, and the "QSO Checks" tab within the QSL manager. None of that would be needed if the default configuration settings were applied.

Adding all of those standard ADIF fields to a custom template in Hamlog or any other similar iOS-based logging utility is an option but not desirable due to screen clutter and duplication of effort. Log4OM is clean, straightforward, and easier to manage. It makes more sense to rely upon Log4OM to fill in the rest of this information.

In its current state, unless I'm dealing with a log of 30+ contacts, it's actually faster to manually enter each contact directly into Log4OM from a paper log after the activation than it is to import the ADIF and apply all of the changes via the QSO Manager.

Thanks for inviting recommendations for improving this great software.

Kevin KZ3L
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Apply configuration settings to ADIF imports

Post by G4POP »

You can update that information in the QSO manager as shown below and other QSO manager tabs. Just filter first then bulk update

Adding that feature to import will slow imports down considerably, especially with large databases

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (126.84 KiB) Viewed 2753 times
73 Terry G4POP
KZ3L
Advanced Class

Post by KZ3L »

Terry,

Yes, that's what I've been doing to edit the imported ADIFs.

IMHO if you warn the end user that it will take a while to apply the updates, then it is on the user to accept that delay.

Thanks again,
Kevin
KZ3L
Advanced Class

Post by KZ3L »

I think I found a way to do this. So far it appears to work okay.

Here's what I did:

1. Create a "Portable" profile in Log4OM. In the "Software Integration" section, under ADIF Functions, check the "Enable ADIF monitor" function and point to a generic file name such as "POTA-Import.adi".

2. When I return from a park activation using a simple portable logger (with minimal ADIF fields), enter all of my QTH, reference, radio, antenna, power, etc. info into the that Portable profile.

3. Export the .adi from my portable logging app and save it under the file name and location in 1. above.

4. Wait a few minutes for Log4OM to refresh... and my entire POTA log has now been imported with all of the attributes from my Portable profile applied. QTH details, rig, antenna, ITU and CQ zone, DXCC, my award info (POTA and WWFF), etc.--basically all of the fields that are missing in my minimalist iPad logging program--are now filled in for me without the need to manually enter all of this through the bulk QSO editor.

It seems intuitive that importing an ADIF with File | Import would follow this same approach, but it doesn't... so as a work-around this seems to be an elegant way to make it work.

Now I don't need to go through the massive/bulk update process to populate all of these fields--they're already filled in based on my profile. That's the behavior I was seeking.

Are there any possible pitfalls to be aware of with this method that I haven't yet discovered? Has anyone else tried it?