Export awards - selected QSOs only

KZ3L
Advanced Class

Export awards - selected QSOs only

Post by KZ3L »

Hello,

Using the "Export awards" function, is it (or should it be?) possible to select a subset of filtered QSOs, and export only those to an ADIF file? Or do I simply need to be more precise with the filtering to select the QSOs I want?

For example, I've filtered my QSOs for an activation of KFF-1940 using the "My References" filter. I'd like to select groups of QSOs by date, export them to a file, and then select another group (by date), export those to a different file, etc.

If I've activated multiple parks during a single day, it would be convenient to show all QSOs from that date and select groups (by park) to export.

The interface appears to be designed to support this, since it allows one to select a group of QSOs (see attached window shot). However, exporting to an ADIF file sends the entire list to the file, not just the selected ones.

Is this the intended behavior? Or is this a bug? (At a minimum, IMHO being able to export selected QSOs is a desirable capability.)

I did notice that right-clicking and choosing "Selected to ADIF" allows the highlighted QSOs to be "sent" to an ADIF, but without the ability to format it for the WWFF, POTA, or SOTA programs--that function sends all ADIF fields for the selected QSOs to the file.

export award.JPG
export award.JPG (83.13 KiB) Viewed 1845 times

Thank you,
Kevin KZ3L
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Export awards - selected QSOs only

Post by G4POP »

Set filters for the date range also, the expectation is that you have drilled down to those that you wish to export by filtering before export.

Alternatively use the QSO manager which is more versatile in allowing you to also select which fields are to be included in the export.
73 Terry G4POP
KZ3L
Advanced Class

Post by KZ3L »

Thanks, Terry. That’s what I’m doing.

The QSO Manager doesn’t export the POTA info (from the References) to the SIG_INFO and MY_SIG_INFO fields, which is the reason for exporting in this manner.

Please consider this a feature request then. Just my opinion, of course, but whenever the user assumes a particular behavior, build it into the design to match that assumption.

Thanks again.
KZ3L
Advanced Class

Post by KZ3L »

Along similar lines regarding user expectations, the behavior of the date range option (in the image I posted, in the QSO manager, and elsewhere) is confusing.

A natural assumption would be that the date range applies to the filtered data set. But as far as I can tell, they are mutually exclusive.

If I filter by park KFF-1943, which I activated on Aug 8 and Nov 29, and set the date range on the left to cover Nov 1 through Nov 30, all QSOs for KFF-1943 are displayed (including the Aug 8 QSOs). I believe this is intentional (again, since they operate independently), but isn't intuitive.

I suspect most users would expect the selected date range and the filter to work in tandem.