Award Visibility

ah6fx
Advanced Class

Award Visibility

Post by ah6fx »

Terry,

I recently finished manually loading all of my QSL data for DXCC, WAS, WAZ, WUST, Worked All VK Call Areas, and the Worked All Japanese Prefecture Award because that info did not transfer as I migrated to Log4OM2. No problem - I understand why this data did not migrate since I read the forum chatter about this issue. Actually, I enjoyed uploading the data into Log4OM2 because 1: it was easy 2: it was enjoyable revisiting some of those QSO 3: it sometimes made me feel 25 years younger as I loaded some of the “ancient” QSOs :D

Recommendation: I read and searched the manual but did not see any mention of this capability. On the main UI … consider adding a button or toggle or banner to display AWARD info in the main UI layout. Associate call signs worked to various awards.

Placing this capability on the main UI brings that specific information to the forefront providing immediate information while in mid-QSO without having to search otherwise. The intent is to show on the main UI, the relationship of a station appearing in the “call sign entered” box to an award. For instance, if I entered W4OEL into the main UI --- some sort of display would indicated that call sign is associated with my WAS … DXCC … WAZ, etc., etc.
• I am thinking about a display similar to the “Station [call sign] Confirmation Status” [[user manual pages 31, 32, 33 et al]]
• Perhaps displaying the award information on the main UI in the “green wkd same band … LOTW user … QSL Bureau … etc” box may work too.
• Maybe a drop down “Awards” button & drop menu shows a list of awards associated with said call sign.
• Bottom line – from my [user] perspective real estate management for adding banners, toggles, etc are not an issue. There seems to be adequate room to display this information. If you had to make some tradeoffs, perhaps replacing the “new grid … grid band … grid mode” information with awards information may be feasible since the grid square craze of a few years is past and few people are concerned with grids. [not sure if there is a grid square award either] However, there seems to be UI room for both – maybe.

If that recommendation is not feasible … consider adding an “awards” data element to the “edit table layout” under the “Recent QSO’s [F7]” tab to show award type associated with appropriate call signs. This is not the best option since the information is not immediately visible on the main UI. Maybe it would work well in combination with whatever main UI display method is selected.

Perhaps modifying the “Awards refs [F3] tab to provide better awards visibility is not the best option. Mainly, info is not instantly visible and I seldom use that tab since I seldom override certain data elements for stations worked.

Just a thought Terry. Log4OM2 would not suffer for not including this data. In fact, it has done extremely well without it. I am not sure of the capabilities of most other logging programs … but I am somewhat certain they do not have it. For awards collectors and paper hangers … I believe it would be useful. It is another way of displaying information contained in the Log4OM2 database. As I used to say – it reminds us of what we already know.

Recommendation 2: I guess I am piling on another recommendation – sorry. It is simple and seemingly useful. Here goes … provide a link from the “Help” pull down menu to your Log4OM2 YouTube videos. This link would be similar to the one for the forum or the user’s guide.

FYI -- Using Log4OM2 NextGen version 2.11.0.0. Using a Dell XPS 8930 running Windows 10 Pro - version 10.0.19041 Build 19041 - 64 bit w/Intel Core i7-9700 CPU @ 3 GHz.

Thanks much.
Regards,
Danny
AH6FX/W4 Virginia, USA
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Award Visibility

Post by G4POP »

ah6fx wrote: 26 Jan 2021, 17:14 Recommendation: I read and searched the manual but did not see any mention of this capability. On the main UI … consider adding a button or toggle or banner to display AWARD info in the main UI layout. Associate call signs worked to various awards.

I dont really understand the comment because DXCC, WAS, WAZ are all automatically calculated from the Call prefix/DXCC, the other awards mentioned were likely to require manual input if they were stored by your old software in program specific fields.

If however the award refs were stored in the comments/notes fields of the incoming ADIF file the awards would have been collated automatically.

Placing this capability on the main UI brings that specific information to the forefront providing immediate information while in mid-QSO without having to search otherwise. The intent is to show on the main UI, the relationship of a station appearing in the “call sign entered” box to an award. For instance, if I entered W4OEL into the main UI --- some sort of display would indicated that call sign is associated with my WAS … DXCC … WAZ, etc., etc.
• I am thinking about a display similar to the “Station [call sign] Confirmation Status” [[user manual pages 31, 32, 33 et al]]
• Perhaps displaying the award information on the main UI in the “green wkd same band … LOTW user … QSL Bureau … etc” box may work too.
• Maybe a drop down “Awards” button & drop menu shows a list of awards associated with said call sign.
• Bottom line – from my [user] perspective real estate management for adding banners, toggles, etc are not an issue. There seems to be adequate room to display this information. If you had to make some tradeoffs, perhaps replacing the “new grid … grid band … grid mode” information with awards information may be feasible since the grid square craze of a few years is past and few people are concerned with grids. [not sure if there is a grid square award either] However, there seems to be UI room for both – maybe.

In the main this already exists in the F3 tab of the input area because if you enter a call sign only the awards related to that country/entity are displayed in the 'Award' drop down menu

If that recommendation is not feasible … consider adding an “awards” data element to the “edit table layout” under the “Recent QSO’s [F7]” tab to show award type associated with appropriate call signs. This is not the best option since the information is not immediately visible on the main UI. Maybe it would work well in combination with whatever main UI display method is selected.
Again when opening an edit window from the F7 grid the 'AWARDS' tab will only display awards applicable to that Country/entity e.g. you will not see the WAJA (Worked all Japanese Prefectures Award) if you enter AH6FX only awards applicable to Hawaii.

Just a thought Terry. Log4OM2 would not suffer for not including this data. In fact, it has done extremely well without it. I am not sure of the capabilities of most other logging programs … but I am somewhat certain they do not have it. For awards collectors and paper hangers … I believe it would be useful. It is another way of displaying information contained in the Log4OM2 database. As I used to say – it reminds us of what we already know.

Problem is it cant be comprehensive because many awards like SOTA, POTA, WFF, Castles etc cannot be directly related to the call, they rely on the award reference of which there may be thousands for a particular country

Recommendation 2: I guess I am piling on another recommendation – sorry. It is simple and seemingly useful. Here goes … provide a link from the “Help” pull down menu to your Log4OM2 YouTube videos. This link would be similar to the one for the forum or the user’s guide.

Please try to make separate postings for each suggestion, otherwise they get overlooked/lost.

Yes that is a good idea I will add it to the list
73 Terry G4POP