Allow free-form RST in CW mode?

N1FG
Advanced Class

Allow free-form RST in CW mode?

Post by N1FG »

Hi -

Version: 2.17.0.0

First off I'm still a new Log4OM2 user (long-time HRD) and enjoy the program a lot.

I'm wondering if there might be a way to replace the dropdown RST selection with a simple text-entry box for CW mode? (Maybe based on what is defined in the RST.xml file for the CW mode?)

My reasoning is that there are hundreds of entries for the 3-digit RST values, which first-off makes it very tough to use the mouse as a selector, and the second reason is that in the RST system, there are alpha suffix characters which may need to be added for CW tone or signal attributes. (The most common would be "K" for key clicks - i.e. 459K) Currently these additional characters (if required) cannot be entered.

The other issue for my own protocol is that I am keying in the RST as I am listening to the other station, perhaps during his call or with a previous contact - and I will often go back to upgrade his RST when I am in the middle of the QSO and the dropdown list is visually a huge distraction as it covers so much space on the screen. It also has a "quirk" or maybe "feature" that when directly typing into the list (which is the only way I use it) if you pause too long between digits the list resets to the top.

For example, if I am listening to a weak station and start typing in their RST - 3 then a pause as I listen before I commit to the strength, and when I type 5 the list has reset to 599...

If there were a configuration to allow CW mode direct text-box (prefilled with whatever is specified in the RST.xml file) entry these issues would be resolved.

Best 73,
Larry N1FG
PE5TT
Advanced Class

Re: Allow free-form RST in CW mode?

Post by PE5TT »

I agree, choosing a report from the dropdown menu is no fun. i would rather see a default value and the possibility to overwrite it, It used to be like that long time ago.
What i do now is type the numbers (eg 537), if you do it quick enough it will select the desired report.
73 Marcel de PE5TT www.daverveld.eu
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Clearly you have not tried 'Tab' and type?

Enter the call sign

Hit tab once and your in the RST sent field

Type a report like 448 that is then selected for you automatically

Tab again to enter the RST received field

Type the received report say 579 and again the entry is done automatically

Tab twice to skip the start and end times and enter the OP name

Tab and enter grid

Etc Etc Etc

If your using auto lookups then the name and grid info etc is not needed so either skip the fields or hit 'Enter' to log the QSO

Works for me!
73 Terry G4POP
N1FG
Advanced Class

Post by N1FG »

Clearly you have not tried reading the post - just jumping ahead to what you do. :D :D

The RST I have given is 559K - how do I enter that?

Or maybe I am listening to a weak and hard-to-copy station, I hit the tab and enter 4, then pause for a second, then enter 5 and see the RST now shows 599. (Get the picture?)

Dropdown lists for more than a few dozen items (at the most) used to be frowned on by all major software producers for a reason, it's not user friendly - did that perception change?

If it was a text only entry field you could tab, enter a number (and potentially a letter) and then you're on the tab key again. No time limit, no exclusive numeric entry, no problem.

73 - Larry N1FG
na7c
Novice Class

Post by na7c »

N1FG wrote: 07 Sep 2021, 11:39
First off I'm still a new Log4OM2 user (long-time HRD) and enjoy the program a lot.

I'm wondering if there might be a way to replace the dropdown RST selection with a simple text-entry box for CW mode? (Maybe based on what is defined in the RST.xml file for the CW mode?)

Best 73,
Larry N1FG
I totally agree with Larry. I too am a new Log4OM2 user, running 2.26.00 on Windows 10. I was startled when Log4OM popped up what appeared to be a randomly sorted list of possible RST values and typing into these fields after tabbing sometimes works and sometimes I have to click onto the field to activate it.

I vote for a fill-in field without any popups.
la4wka
New user

Post by la4wka »

Hello.

We also need free RST for Aurora (Northern light) work in both CW and SSB...like 55A 57A for CW or 5A 7A etc for SSB.
And yes agree on TABing much faster to type then look up the drop down menu.

Hugo / LA4WKA
K4TOR
Advanced Class

Post by K4TOR »

I would agree that a free text entry would be a better feature.
73 de Tor - K4TOR
Pee Dee of SC
G3WCS
Novice Class

Post by G3WCS »

I've been directed to this thread by Larry N1FG.

Can only repeat the request from LA4WKA to allow the inclusion of auroral reports ending in A as the second or third character. Think this is especially important as the sunspot cycle is growing and auroral CW QSO's will be gaining in numbers.

Would be a very worthwhile addition.

Ken.
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

the solution is in the "rst.xml" file you have in the log4om configuration folder (help menu -> open configuration folder).

If you COPY the file and rename it into rst_user.xml you can now edit the file as you like/want

File has a simple structure, the structure name for each set of report values is <GroupName>.
Selection of the set for each mode is driven by:
"ModeType" tag (<ModeType>) that assumes values PHONE, DIGITAL and CW.
"DefaultForModeType" indicates if this is the default set of values for the indicated mode type
Then you can OVERRIDE or specify the modes in the <Modes> tag, eg. placing FT8 into a specific set of report strings.
Then you have <DefaultValue> you can specify to be always selected as first value

You can remove <RstValues> you didn't use, reorder them or do whatever you want with this list.

This is the CW section (top section)

Code: Select all

</RSTItem>
    <RSTItem>
    <GroupName>CW</GroupName>
    <DefaultForModeType>true</DefaultForModeType>
    <ModeType>CW</ModeType>
    <Modes />
    <DefaultValue>599</DefaultValue>
    <RstValues>
		<string>599</string>
		<string>589</string>
		<string>579</string>
while this is an example of the DIGITAL overrided for some modes (the DIGITAL for the JT/FT series) with the modes indicated to be valid for this group (Modes list has precedence on DefaultForModeType that should be kept only on ONE group for a specific ModeType, so ONE default for PHONE, one for DIGITAL, one for CW)

Code: Select all

</RSTItem>
    <RSTItem>
    <GroupName>JTx modes (JT*, ROS*)</GroupName>
    <DefaultForModeType>false</DefaultForModeType>
    <ModeType>DIGITAL</ModeType>
    <Modes>
		<string>JT44</string>
		<string>JT4A</string>
		<string>JT4B</string>
		<string>JT4C</string>
		<string>JT4D</string>
		<string>JT4E</string>
		<string>JT4F</string>
		<string>JT4G</string>
		<string>JT65</string>
		<string>JT65A</string>
		<string>JT65B</string>
		<string>JT65C</string>
		<string>JT6M</string>
		<string>JT9</string>
		<string>JT4</string>
		<string>FT4</string>
		<string>FT8</string>
		<string>ROS</string>
		<string>ROS-EME</string>
		<string>ROS-MF</string>
		<string>MSK144</string>
		<string>FSK441</string>
		<string>Q65</string>
    </Modes>
    <DefaultValue>+00</DefaultValue>
    <RstValues>
		<string>+30</string>
		<string>+29</string>
		<string>+28</string>
If you want, you can add on the <ModeType>CW</ModeType> group the 599A, 599B and everything you want.

Please note i don't know if external sources accepts some specific values as valid (they may reject the QSO in some cases)
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

IW3HMH wrote: 03 Mar 2023, 12:14
Please note i don't know if external sources accepts some specific values as valid (they may reject the QSO in some cases)

Please note what Lele means is if we change the structure to allow 'Free form' entries then you will find the on line logs like LOTW and EQSL will probably reject 59GOOFY and then we will have many more complaints about failed uploads.

So I think our way is best
73 Terry G4POP