Allow user configuration of callsign lookup timing

N1FG
Advanced Class

Allow user configuration of callsign lookup timing

Post by N1FG »

Hi -

I am often trying to add to or change the callsign (due to poor copy or mistaken typing) and Log4OM2 will make multiple callsign lookups before I am tabbing to RST as I get ready to call a station.

This is both inefficient and also frustrating from a user perspective as I can't make any callsign changes until Log4OM2 comes back from it's lookup functions.

For that reason I would like to recommend an additional setting inside the "User preferences" section of the Configuration. This setting might be the number of seconds to wait before initiation of the lookup, or "0" to signify waiting until the focus has moved from the Callsign entry box.

Larry N1FG
m0lmk
Novice Class

Re: Allow user configuration of callsign lookup timing

Post by m0lmk »

I would love to see this feature as well.

We use Log4OM on 4 stations every year for a mini Dxpedition/Club Holiday where our main internet connection is via a 4G link and this is one of the biggest issues we face. We always manage to lose a few QSO's due to slow lookups which drives the operators a little crazy!

I'm sure our operators would be very willing to dip their hands in their pockets if we could get this feature added!

Matt
M0LMK/KI5GXV
G0HRS Hilderstone Radio Society
Matt
M0LMK / KI5GXV
G0HRS - Hilderstone Radio Society
N1FG
Advanced Class

Post by N1FG »

m0lmk wrote: 11 Nov 2021, 10:32 ...

I'm sure our operators would be very willing to dip their hands in their pockets if we could get this feature added!

Matt
M0LMK/KI5GXV
GM Matt,

I was just about to move this issue to the bug list myself after a couple of issues where I was continually waiting for the lookup and, of course, as soon as it completed it went off again as there was a character in the buffer.

I hope they can put this on the list to be fixed!

73, Larry
N1FG
m0lmk
Novice Class

Post by m0lmk »

Yes Larry.

It's the 2nd most frustrating issue when using Log4OM on a poor internet connection and in a multi station/operator setup where several users are doing callsign lookups at the same time. I believe most users won't notice the issue unless they have a slow internet connection or a slow response from the lookup servers but it would certainly remove a fair bit of profanity from the room during our operations! Your suggested solution would be perfect for most use cases as it would allow users to either slow down lookups or prevent them until the user is ready.

Matt
M0LMK/KI5GXV
Matt
M0LMK / KI5GXV
m0lmk
Novice Class

Post by m0lmk »

Just bumping this back up to get some attention. Having this feature added would make Log4OM much more usable for low bandwidth internet connections.

Matt
Matt
M0LMK / KI5GXV
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

If you have a bad internet connection or a slow PC causing the response time to be slow try changing the functions in the Program configuration/Performances menu
73 Terry G4POP
m0lmk
Novice Class

Post by m0lmk »

Thanks Terry. We did that but it didn't solve the lookup issue. This only seems to be a problem when using a slow internet connection (we were using a 4G connection on the edge of it's range). Having an option to disable the automatic QRZ.com lookup when entering a callsign until the focus in moved away from the callsign field would solve the issue completely and make Log4OM much more usable in a multi operator station/slow internet situation.

Larry, N1FG, hit the nail on the head with his suggestion:
I would like to recommend an additional setting inside the "User preferences" section of the Configuration. This setting might be the number of seconds to wait before initiation of the lookup, or "0" to signify waiting until the focus has moved from the Callsign entry box.
It would be great if this can be considered for a future release but I understand if it's probably not an "in demand" feature.
Matt
M0LMK / KI5GXV
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Just disable the lookup in the info providers menu!

Buttons at top

Screenshot 2022-05-17 191906.png
Screenshot 2022-05-17 191906.png (26.9 KiB) Viewed 1814 times
73 Terry G4POP
N1FG
Advanced Class

Post by N1FG »

Terry it's not that we don't want lookup - its that we want the calling info to be correct before lookup takes place! This saves both processing time/inefficiency and also allows the user to decide when he has the call data correct and/or complete.

73 de Larry N1FG
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

How do we know the call is complete it could be

G8N
G8NN
G8NNN

etc

If we add a delay it amounts to what you have now

If we add a lookup button users complain about another click to be made