Allow user configuration of callsign lookup timing

N1FG
Advanced Class

Re: Allow user configuration of callsign lookup timing

Post by N1FG »

That is exactly the problem Terry.

As to when, how about when the focus changes to the next (or other) control. User is finished with call, do your stuff.
m0lmk
Novice Class

Post by m0lmk »

Terry, is there currently a delay between user entry and lookup? What is the current criteria for when it decides to do a look up?
Matt
M0LMK / KI5GXV
G0HRS - Hilderstone Radio Society
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

N1FG wrote: 17 May 2022, 21:07 That is exactly the problem Terry.

As to when, how about when the focus changes to the next (or other) control. User is finished with call, do your stuff.

That would be OK except that many of us use leaving the call sign field to trigger the start time
73 Terry G4POP
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

m0lmk wrote: 17 May 2022, 21:12 Terry, is there currently a delay between user entry and lookup? What is the current criteria for when it decides to do a look up?
There is but a small one because many users want to see the partial WB4 list when typing first letters like is this G4POP or G4PIP that I worked last year so G4PO shows all WB4 containing that string.

Now you perhaps see that its not a simple thing and requires a lot of thought before a change is implemented
73 Terry G4POP
m0lmk
Novice Class

Post by m0lmk »

If there is already a delay then the proposal made by Larry would seem to be a good solution.

Make the delay a configurable option, set to the current delay time by default.
Add an override that says "if lookup delay = 0 then don't do a lookup until the focus has left the callsign box"

This will mean the lookup will work exactly as it does now using the default setting but will allow users with slow connections to configure it to their preference.

Another option would be to allow any changes to the callsign input to interrupt the lookup. As it is now the user has to wait for the current lookup to return data before the callsign can be modified. I believe this to the be root of the problem. I don't really know how to express why but I'll try to explain the issue it was caulsing at our multi op station with very poor internet:

User is listening for a weak station
User gets a partial callsign and starts to enter it in the callsign input
User enters KI5G
Log4OM starts a lookup
User gets the rest of the callsign and continues to enter it into the callsign input
User enters XV/P, hits tab and starts their QSO
Because the lookup has not yet returned data, the entry is not accepted into the callsign input
User either A) looks at the screen and notices that the callsign is not correct or B) Logs a contact with the wrong callsign

I hope that's clear. and explains the issue a little more?

I know it's not a common issue so thank you for spending some time looking at it Terry.
Matt
M0LMK / KI5GXV
N1FG
Advanced Class

Post by N1FG »

GM Matthew,

Thank you for taking the time to write that explanation, I think it describes the issues much better than I have and hope that a configuration option can be implemented.

Best 73,
Larry N1FG
G0PDZ
New user

Post by G0PDZ »

Terry,

As part of the team with M0LMK I can confirm the frustration this causes.

I appreciate that this is a problem for a small minority of Ops, but a solution would be appreciated.

The option to turn off searching rather removes functionality that is useful.

An option to delay searching until the op has tabbed out of the callsign field would be ideal.

To use your example of is it G8N, NN or NNN all could be valid. Whilst working pile-ups we regularly dragged out partial calls, say G8N, but then got the full NNN, but found we couldn’t enter the rest of the call as it was searching. Or worse, my ‘touch typing’ meant I didn’t notice the data I was inputting ‘wasn’t being input’ or was but in the wrong field - - frustration.

This may be a niggle for a minority of Ops, but a solution would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks for an awesome logging program.

73, Ian G0PDZ - AG5XD (G0HRS)
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

We will discuss this but at this time I feel the best solution is as suggested to provide a choice of either Lookup when leaving the call sign field or Set time when leaving the call sign field.

The time delay will only introduce similar delays to that which your experiencing and a 'Lookup' button will gender complaints of too many mouse click required.

Will let you know what we decide on
73 Terry G4POP
m0lmk
Novice Class

Post by m0lmk »

Thank you for the consideration Terry.
Matt
M0LMK / KI5GXV
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

m0lmk wrote: 18 May 2022, 05:58 If there is already a delay then the proposal made by Larry would seem to be a good solution.

Make the delay a configurable option, set to the current delay time by default.
Add an override that says "if lookup delay = 0 then don't do a lookup until the focus has left the callsign box"

This will mean the lookup will work exactly as it does now using the default setting but will allow users with slow connections to configure it to their preference.

Another option would be to allow any changes to the callsign input to interrupt the lookup. As it is now the user has to wait for the current lookup to return data before the callsign can be modified. I believe this to the be root of the problem. I don't really know how to express why but I'll try to explain the issue it was caulsing at our multi op station with very poor internet:

User is listening for a weak station
User gets a partial callsign and starts to enter it in the callsign input
User enters KI5G
Log4OM starts a lookup
User gets the rest of the callsign and continues to enter it into the callsign input
User enters XV/P, hits tab and starts their QSO
Because the lookup has not yet returned data, the entry is not accepted into the callsign input
User either A) looks at the screen and notices that the callsign is not correct or B) Logs a contact with the wrong callsign

I hope that's clear. and explains the issue a little more?

I know it's not a common issue so thank you for spending some time looking at it Terry.
We added a flag on program settings / performance tab to perform lookup and data search only on leaving call field (actually it will perform all operations, so country is not checked until leaving field.)

Download https://www.log4om.com/l4ong/release/be ... 0_beta.zip to test
73 Terry G4POP