QSO callsign to bandmap

ON6AB
Novice Class

QSO callsign to bandmap

Post by ON6AB »

A handy feature I used a lot with Logger32 and LogHX3 is the ability to transfer the callsign in the QSO callsign box to the bandmap.
For instance, you're scanning the bands in CW and you copy a call (into the callsign box) that is not on the bandmap. You simply press "ctrl-s" and the programm adds it on the correct place to the bandmap.
Doing so, you can populate the bandmap with callsigns you decoded yourself and if you dial again over the same frequency, you immediately know what station it is.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: QSO callsign to bandmap

Post by G4POP »

So why not just spot it that does the same thing?
73 Terry G4POP
ei6kw
Advanced Class

Post by ei6kw »

G4POP wrote: 07 Mar 2022, 15:30 So why not just spot it that does the same thing?
And what if he is working without cluster connection, e.g. field operation or non assisted contest category?
__
73!
de EI6KW, Slav
ON6AB
Novice Class

Post by ON6AB »

Terry, for obvious reasons, nobody should spot every callsign he hears on the band :roll:
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

ON6AB wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 09:47 Terry, for obvious reasons, nobody should spot every callsign he hears on the band :roll:
Personally I dont see the point however I will add it to mantis list but no guarantees when it will be added as we have many things to do.

I am not suggesting that you spot every one just the ones that are noteworthy! and yes after 70 years in amateur radio I do appreciate you should not spot all contacts - :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
73 Terry G4POP
ON6AB
Novice Class

Post by ON6AB »

G4POP wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 09:57
ON6AB wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 09:47 Terry, for obvious reasons, nobody should spot every callsign he hears on the band :roll:
Personally I dont see the point however I will add it to mantis list but no guarantees when it will be added as we have many things to do.

I am not suggesting that you spot every one just the ones that are noteworthy! and yes after 70 years in amateur radio I do appreciate you should not spot all contacts - :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Terry, I'm not speaking about contacts. It was about all callsign you hear/decode on the band. You suggested to spot them in order to get them in the band map...

If you don't see the point, please let me explain:
Suppose you have only spotted callsigns in the band map. You hover over the band and you detect a fresh signal. You listen to it until the guy sends its call.
If there is no possibility to add it to the band map, the next sweep you do over the band, you AGAIN hear that signal but you don't know who it is as you were not able to add it. AGAIN you have to spend time until the guy AGAIN sends it call only to conclude it is the same station you noticed 2 minutes ago. For every next bandsweep you do, the same thing will happen again and again.
If the above happens for only one or two signals, ok I can remember them, but not in case of 25 signals.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

ON6AB wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 10:39
G4POP wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 09:57

Terry, I'm not speaking about contacts. It was about all callsign you hear/decode on the band. You suggested to spot them in order to get them in the band map...

If you don't see the point, please let me explain:
Suppose you have only spotted callsigns in the band map. You hover over the band and you detect a fresh signal. You listen to it until the guy sends its call.
If there is no possibility to add it to the band map, the next sweep you do over the band, you AGAIN hear that signal but you don't know who it is as you were not able to add it. AGAIN you have to spend time until the guy AGAIN sends it call only to conclude it is the same station you noticed 2 minutes ago. For every next bandsweep you do, the same thing will happen again and again.
If the above happens for only one or two signals, ok I can remember them, but not in case of 25 signals.

I did not say that I did not understand! I said I did not see the point, in other words I did not think it was a great idea but as you will have read I have added it to our Mantis list even though I personally do not see the value!

We try to accommodate the requirements of everyone even if its not something we would use ourselves, that way we sometimes get a good review on eham. :)
73 Terry G4POP