eQSL Comments

General discussions about Log4OM features
K4SHQ
Advanced Class

eQSL Comments

Post by K4SHQ »

ADIF allows a <Comments> field and eQSL does include it when there is a comment provided by my QSO partner. Most of the comments I see in Log4OM are mine, but what happens to the comments retrieved from eQSL?

Thanks.

Dan - K4SHQ
Dan Malcolm
K4SHQ
DF5WW
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: eQSL Comments

Post by DF5WW »

Hi Dan,

the "Comments" at eQSL are not the "Comments" in the ADIF specks. If you need a
QSL Message for eQSL and Labels you can put it in via the Setup/Options/QSLs and Labels.

See attached Picture:
df5ww1.png
df5ww1.png (14.46 KiB) Viewed 7659 times
The following picture show the result of a test with my clubcall to my personal call:

df5ww2.png
df5ww2.png (14.97 KiB) Viewed 7659 times
73´s .. Juergen ... ALT-512 SDR (10W) , 50 m random wire at SG-211 autotuner, 2 x Xiegu G90 (20W HF TRX) one as portable Radio. Also TS-790E (40 W) for VHF/UHF with X-50 vertical and Duoband 4-Element LPDA.
K4SHQ
Advanced Class

Post by K4SHQ »

Thanks Juergen. I'm not sure I agree. I downloaded my eQSL log via their ADIF encoder and the comments field is filed in that download, but only when a comment actually exists. What I download is probably not the same as what is retrieved when Log4OM requests an update. I can't check that because the ADIF file is not saved. But I made the assumption that the comments are the same. What I wish to do, if possible, is to retrieve my QSO partners comments.

So my question is two-fold.
1. Does eQSL include my QSO partners comments in their downloads to Log4OM? It seems your answer is "no".
2. If #1 were a "yes", then what does Log4OM do with it? Overwrite my comment submission? Append his to mine?

If, for whatever reason, his comment is not retrievable, then I guess I'm done. It was more curiosity than a real need.

Thanks again Juergen.

73 - Dan - K4SHQ
Dan Malcolm
K4SHQ
DF5WW
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by DF5WW »

Hi Dan,
i´ve made a download of the short eQSL ADIF of our clubstation. As i
suggestet in my upper post, eQSL don´t use a real ADIF comment field.

The field is calles "QSLMSG" as you can see in the following SWL report
with an included QSLMSG ....
<CALL:13>DL-SWL/DE1PCE<QSO_DATE:8:D>20170728<TIME_ON:4>2059<BAND:3>20m<MODE:2>CW<RST_SENT:3>529<RST_RCVD:0><QSL_SENT:1>Y<QSL_SENT_VIA:1>E<QSLMSG:56>SWL-RPRT : I hrd ur QSO with >>II2FIST<< 73 de Peter<APP_EQSL_SWL:1>Y<GRIDSQUARE:6>JN39TM<EOR>
Could be possible that a eQSL download overwrite the field "QSL Message" in Log4OM which you can find in the Layout columns
but not shure about this. Not testet yet so the incoming Log for DL0AK has only this one SWL contact with a QSL Message and
i normally not log incoming SWL confirmations. I use only the eQSL download in Log4OM and in this way SWL reports will not
match.

df5ww1.png
df5ww1.png (24.62 KiB) Viewed 7651 times
73´s .. Juergen ... ALT-512 SDR (10W) , 50 m random wire at SG-211 autotuner, 2 x Xiegu G90 (20W HF TRX) one as portable Radio. Also TS-790E (40 W) for VHF/UHF with X-50 vertical and Duoband 4-Element LPDA.
K4SHQ
Advanced Class

Post by K4SHQ »

Hmmmmm. Quite right Juergen. The ADIF spec names the field COMMENT and it is a String type.

That's the disconnect I was looking for. I saw both of them before, but did not make the connection of mismatched field names. Thankfully you did..

Dan - K4SHQ
Dan Malcolm
K4SHQ
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

QSLMSG is a recognised ADIF field as illustrated here http://www.adif.org/306/ADIF_306.htm and it is the field we use to send a QSL message (Comment for a QSL card) - Options/QSL and labels.

The received QSL message, if any, is displayed in the QSL Message column is selected by Layout.

'Comment' is a single line text field whereas 'Notes' is a multi line text field
73 Terry G4POP
K4SHQ
Advanced Class

Post by K4SHQ »

That's the answer I was looking for. Thanks Terrry.

Dan - K4SHQ
Dan Malcolm
K4SHQ
KI7AAY
Novice Class

Post by KI7AAY »

I have a similar question I see my comments entered into JTALERTX flows to QRZ as well as LOG4OM. Then I have LOG4OM update CLUBLOG and eQSL automatically, I don't see my comment making it into the eQSl QSL record. Is there a way to use what came in with the ADIF record versus the Text in the QSL & LABELS QSL Message Field?