MODE override

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
EI2GLB
Old Man

Re: MODE override

Post by EI2GLB »

It is not possible to alter the omnirig .ini files to show RTTY or PSK I tried to do it for my Pro 2, I got talking to someone who used to be involved with omnirig, and he said it couldn't be done,

It's annoying when you have auto upload to clublog and the qso is logged on the wrong mode,I use the HRD & DM780 workaround for the time being until a better option is available

Trevor
EI2GLB
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Hi Trevor,

Yesterday's release has a mode lock just the same as Simon added to HRD but whereas he called it track we use the term lock.

This enables you to lock any mode and disregard the mode information being supplied by CAT, ideal for modes not supported by Omnirig and Hamlib like PSK and JT65.

However with my Pro 3 I use Fldigi for PSK etc and as Fldigi logs in PSK or any other mode available in FlDigi, the data that LOG4OM gets from FlDigi contains the correct mode, therefore I don't experience any issues when uploading to Clublog, LOTW, HRDlog.net or eQSL.

Even when using MixW for SSTV or FSK I still don't experience issues with those QSO's being uploaded from LOG4OM to Clublog because MixW records the QSO with the correct mode!

I would be interested to know which digital program you were using in conjunction with LOG4OM for logging that you experienced this mode issue with and exactly how you had everything set up?

Even though you have gone back to HRD please let me have this information so that we can continue to improve the program were users find shortcomings.

73 Terry G4POP
EI2GLB
Old Man

Post by EI2GLB »

Hi Terry

First I use Log4OM as my main logger, If I want to work someone on PSK I open HRD and DM780 and then Log4OM I have set it up as per the manual and this will log the qso's in the right mode,

Sometimes I use N1MM to use FSK RTTY and this is where I sometimes forget to change the mode when logging stations in Log4OM

Also when I have HRD open Log4OM can't get cat data and if I log a qso using Log4OM it will not have the frequency or mode info,

I bounce all over the bands and modes as I see spots I need so I guess it's not a typical style of operation
And that's why having to open and close screens to keep everything right can be tricky,
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Hi Trevor,

If you use the HRD, HRD Logbook DM780 and Log4OM the mode, frequency and band information is provided by HRD and should be correct because DM780 dictates the mode to be set when logging and we only collect that information - Omnirig is not active in this setup.

If you are using the above set up it does not matter that LOG4OM can't get the mode, freq & band via cat because its getting the information from DM780!

When you say that you use N1MM for FSK is this because you are contesting or just because it provides FSK? It sounds like you are manually logging to Log4OM when using N1MM for FSK is this true?

If all you want is FSK then you could get the G4ZLP microFSK unit and use it with FLdigi then LOG4OM will get the QSO's automatically, including the correct mode! You use the microFSK to transmit FSK and FLDigi to read the received signal.

MixW is very good for all modes including FSK because it works with Omnirig and this is what I use. Because Omnirig has a multi threading capability Log4OM can simultaneously access the Omnirig data. The end result is that both MixW and Log4OM can use and display band, frequency and mode information, this results in the Log4OM cluster being able to control the rig as normal.

The drawback with using MixW is that we don't at this time obtain the QSO information to add to the Log4OM logbook, this has to be done by exporting an ADIF from MixW and importing it into Log4OM but this will eventually be added to LOG4OM.

So the only way you could have a mode issue is if you work digital but log manually in LOG4OM and as you can now lock the mode to PSK, RTTY or whatever I think this fixes your issue, let me know if I am wrong?

73 Terry G4POP
EI2GLB
Old Man

Post by EI2GLB »

You are right Terry it's when I manually log in Log4OM when I have hrd open I get the mode mismatch, if I was to use HRD logbook would it also add the qso's to Log4OM ???

its not a big issue for me, most of my data contacts are in contests so I use n1mm for that and import the adif,

I'll look into Fldigi and try it

Thanks for all your help,

Trevor
EI2GLB
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Hi Trevor,
My instructions of how to do this on Page 102 of the user manual tell you to start HRD, HRD Logbook and DM780 then Log4OM.

Extract from user manual....

Method 1
1. Start HRD, HRD Logbook and DM780 in the normal way with HRD connected to the radio.
2. Start LOG4OM.
DM780 will do the call lookup using the HRD logbook and obtain the frequency from the HRD in the normal manner.
LOG4OM will not display the radio frequency because it is not connected to the radio. However, when working a station using DM780, the QSO will be logged to both the HRD logbook and the LOG4OM logbook.

......... End of extract.

This circumvents the issue that you have as all of the mode, band and frequency data is derived from HRD

If you manually log when using a different data program then just lock the mode in Log4OM

73 Terry G4POP
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

It's possible to integrate Log4OM with DM780 (Swiss version) and have FULL CAT control and frequency visualization in both DM780 and Log4OM.

The configuration is a bit complex, but is written "for dummies" by IW1AWH (Thanks Rick)
You can find it in this post http://www.pisto.it/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=43
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH