Issues with audio keyer

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
4Z1ZV
Advanced Class

Issues with audio keyer

Post by 4Z1ZV »

I tried to use this nice capability and I encountered the following issues:

1. After I record new audio files and press SAVE, I need to re-start LOG4OM in order to have the PTT function again.

2. I am using it with Icom IC7300, OmniRig and Audio CODEC interface. Audio level and quality is low (using the radio minitor as well as power level).

3. I need to keep pressing the audio buttons to get the audio message. Must use monitor function which creates feedback with microphone.

Any ideas ?
4Z1ZV
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Issues with audio keyer

Post by G4POP »

4Z1ZV wrote:I tried to use this nice capability and I encountered the following issues:

1. After I record new audio files and press SAVE, I need to re-start LOG4OM in order to have the PTT function again.
I never noticed that, I will check
2. I am using it with Icom IC7300, OmniRig and Audio CODEC interface. Audio level and quality is low (using the radio monitor as well as power level).
Sounds like you either don't have enough drive from your computers soundcard - Try increasing the Playback volume on the computer

Or there is some input level control on the 7300 menu that requires increasing
3. I need to keep pressing the audio buttons to get the audio message.

This is by design, bit like a dead mans handle so you cannot leave it transmitting messages by mistake
Must use monitor function which creates feedback with microphone.
The fact that you get feedback when engaging the monitor indicates to me that the microphone is live. On my 7600 I need to use one of the digital mode settings for voice sending which disables the mic input and compressor circuitry.
73 Terry G4POP
4Z1ZV
Advanced Class

Post by 4Z1ZV »

Thanks for prompt response.

I can set the radio to allocate the "Non DATA mode" to USB codec. The audio quality is OK and no feedback from Microphone.
However, I can only transmit audio from LOG4OM and cannot use the microphone to complete the QSO.

Of coarse I must use the monitor function in order to hear the message.

Any suggestions how to use it effectively in mix mode (Audion keyer and microphone) ?
4Z1ZV
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

I think this must be because you are using the USB port to connect to the computer whereas I am using the ACC socket on the back with a US Navigator interface which has its own codec, which works 100% OK with Log4OM for SSB QSO's

You probably need to contact Icom to find the answer to this because its probably a menu setting or something.

If you have problems speaking to Icom because of your location let me know and I will contact Icom UK
73 Terry G4POP
4Z1ZV
Advanced Class

Post by 4Z1ZV »

No problem in contacting Icom.
This is the same challenge with IC-7100 and IC-7300.

You can either assign a MIC only, MIC and ACC or USB only.
Some logs do change on the fly the radio setting - i.e when the application transmits it set the default to USB and than switch back to MIC.
4Z1ZV