Manual log uploading

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
VK7XX
Old Man

Manual log uploading

Post by VK7XX »

I do not use automatic uploading of my log to HRDlog or eQSL or LOTW, instead, I do this manually Why you might ask... because I am a terrible typist and frequently make errors which, if I enable 'auto' means extra work fixing my errors.... ok, moving on. Currently I am using Log4OM in conjunction with another logging programme. In this other program, when I want to send the manual updates for these three services, I simply highlight a selection of log entries, (recent QSO entires) right click & send them to HRDlog etc etc.

I have read through the new manual (excellent job by-the-way) and after looking at pages 85, 86 & 87 it appears to me that I can only do manual uploading of log entries one-at-a-time & then it is a long process of opening post office, searching for the call & then uploading. Have I missed something, and is there a way to easily manually upload a batch of entries to these services ???

John
VK7XX
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Manual log uploading

Post by G4POP »

Probably my fault for not expanding the information on page 85 to include graphics with the eQsl and LOTW buttons depressed.

You can bulk upload to eQsl and LOTW by selecting the appropriate button in the post office window and then selecting a bunch of QSO's and then pressing the up arrow.

Bulk upload to HRDlog and Clublog is not available at this time but you can export an ADIF of the desired QSO's and then upload via the Internet.

I will re-write this section of the user guide and add illustrated step by step instructions and when complete I will post a link on this forum.

73 Terry G4POP
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

I have updated the user guide this morning and hopefully by 12.00 hrs GMT this will be available for download at http://www.pisto.it/wordpress/log4om-en/ or via the help menu in LOG4OM

73 Terry G4POP
VK7XX
Old Man

Post by VK7XX »

Thank you for the clarification Terry. OK too on the updated manual... The manual is a mighty fine job and congratulations to you.

<Edited. Added from here down>

I have d/l the new manual and gone through the steps. In my opinion, there are far too many steps involved and I can still only upload my qso's to HRDlog one at a time.

The log is on my screen (Recent QSO) so, why is it necessary to open post office, set up search parameters, search the qso's and then upload one at a time to HRDlog ? Yes, there is a bulk upload for LOTW & eQSL, but..... as I said, the contacts are already on my screen, why not implement the ability to highlight one or multiple QSO's on the Recent QSO window and have a right click menu to upload the selected contacts to eQSL or LOTW or HRDlog or any other place ...... ? Wouldn't this be so much simpler than the many many steps currently necessary ?

(Should I put this in to the suggestions area ??)

regards
John
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Hi John,
I missed your edit to your original reply so that is the reason that I did not respond sooner.

My view on this is that we are trying to provide a simple uncluttered interface and to add all of the options required for bulk upload to Clublog, HRDLog.net and eQSL to the recent QSO screen would of necessity introduce extra buttons and selection windows etc. which is the reverse of our goals.

The majority of our users take advantage of the automatic upload of QSO's to Clublog, HRDLog.net and eQSL thus removing the need to carry out bulk uploads and on the very rare occasion that these people need to do a bulk upload a dedicated facility is provide with the Post Office.

Of course if we did provide these extra facilities for upload that you suggest the next thing would be someone saying that if we have the upload there why don't we also have the download there, requiring even more buttons etc! that in turn leads on to requests to include LOTW and so on!

Lele will have more thoughts on your suggestion no doubt.

73 Terry G4POP
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

multiple upload for LOTW and EQSL are possible.
This operation can be done from QSL Management. Open "EQSL" tab, select required QSO and press the upload button. This will upload:
1) everything you listed, if nothing is selected
2) your selection if something is selected in excel style (ctrl + click or shift + click)

Clublog and HRDLog as far as i know doesn't support multiple uploads at one time (as far as i remember from the latest protocols i've used). I can obviously force this situation by making multiple-single calls to their interfaces, but this action will create an overload on their systems that is not usually appreciated, since those interfaces are not created to support multiple continuous calls.
I will check on their user manuals if there are news on this side, but until this features will be released i can only do punctual uploads.

About functions placement:
Log4OM uses a "simple" approach: specific functions are grouped in specific screens, where the user can do everything related to the task. Everything related to QSL can be found on the QSL Management screen, and everything related to QSO edit/search can be done from the QSO Management screen.
Managing up/down from eqsl/lotw requires dedicated filters and function. Placing everything on the same screen will make the user interface cluttered and unclear.

Daniele IW3HMH
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
VK7XX
Old Man

Post by VK7XX »

Hello Terry & Daniel. Thankyou both for your replies. OK, I understand why the 'post office' is there and not a drop down / right click style of menu. Thats OK & thanks again for the explanations.

Daniel, for what it is worth, I have never had a problem with uploading multiple qso's to HRDLog. I did just that frequently and did it just a moment ago. I cannot comment on this for Clublog as I do not use this one.

John
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

i'll check on the protocol file. Maybe i missed something... :)
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
VK7XX
Old Man

Post by VK7XX »

IW3HMH wrote:i'll check on the protocol file. Maybe i missed something... :)
For info Daniele, I did some testing today just to see how many contacts I could upload to HRDlog.net in one go. I had no problems uploading 54 QSO's in one go.

It may not be relevant, but here is what I did.
I used the N1MM contest program & worked 50 contacts. I then imported those into HRD. Using HRD I highlighted all the contacts I had not yet sent to HRDLog.net (which was 54 in total) I right clicked, chose Hrdlog.net / upload and all contacts uploaded with no problems.... So, I hope that this information is helpful to you.

John
VK7XX