Different locations

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
KW4G
Novice Class

Different locations

Post by KW4G »

I use Log4OM as my main logging software from my own station. I also operate portable from various State Parks, occasionally. I read the manual section on different QTH's, but it doesn't work out the way I want it to. I created a new configuration file with the pertinent information for the parks I operated from. I then shut down and reopened Log4OM, so that was the active configuration. I then created a new database under that configuration, and entered my contacts from the state parks in it (one configuration and one database file for each state park. This keeps my state park QSO's separate from each other, and separate from my main log file. I would prefer to keep all QSO's in one file, but with separate locations noted. Can someone point me in the correct direction? Thanks es 73.
Roy G. Jackson KW4G
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Different locations

Post by G4POP »

Your almost there!

You are correct to set up a new configuration for each location because that enables you to record the QSO's with the correct data - YOUR! WWFF, SOTA, IOTA references and grid reference etc

However each config can use the same or main SQLite file because when you use the search parameters you can filter by your Grid reference or whatever to analyse the statistics or send out QSL cards.

I do this for the special event stations and portable operations I run, each has a separate config but use a common database. I go one step further and take a windows tablet or laptop with me on these events and because my SQLite database is stored in Google drive (Cloud storage) all of my computers automatically synchronise the database so I have no need to export and import ADIF files

Incidentally version 2 makes this a lot easier because a lot of the data can be changed live without the need for changing configs
73 Terry G4POP
KW4G
Novice Class

Post by KW4G »

Thanks for your quick reply. I understand that my mistake was creating separate databases for each configuration. I will create one database, and use it with all configurations. I appreciate the suggestion of keeping that database in the cloud. I will work on that. Thanks again. 73
Roy G. Jackson KW4G
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

KW4G wrote: 27 Sep 2019, 17:49 I appreciate the suggestion of keeping that database in the cloud. I will work on that. Thanks again. 73

See my setup under the 'Dropbox' section of the user guide
73 Terry G4POP