Log4OM Not Responding

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
n5if
Advanced Class

Log4OM Not Responding

Post by n5if »

1.40 here, Win 10, Lenovo i7 @ 2.6Ghz w/8GB Ram laptop

Been struggling most of the day today with this issue. I just did the upgrade to 1.40 today BUT I had seen this a few times prior - today its been a true PIA.

WSJTx is feeding ADIF info directly to Log4OM. (This was happening as well when I was using JTAlert UDP push - not as often) I get about a 10 sec delay from when I hit the OK button on the Log Screen to when the Recent QSO tab/page actually updates with the QSO = thats when it works.

Many times, I work a station, hit the OK button to log the Q and Log4OM becomes non-responsive - I can't click on anything - at the top of the main screen it says Not Responding. A lot of the time I just have to go into the task manager and kill it. Leaving out the QSO that killed the program. Even when the program is just sitting there, with no input from me, it becomes Non-Responsive, I can watch it in Task Manager and it will say Non-Responsive there.

Just a bit ago - it did the same thing but this time, rather than kill the program via Task Mgr, I just let it sit. After about 4 minutes - the program came back to life and it had the QSO in the log that initially put it into this hang mode.

As an aside - my log info is dumped out to the cloud using Dropbox. This allows me to have multiple instances of the program on different PCs in the shack all with a common log, and its worked well since Dec 2017. I've got about 110k QSOs in the log, so not sure if thats an issue.

Any thoughts on this? Is there a way that I could put the program in a test mode and catch some code as to where it may hanging?

Thanks

Greg/K9IG
n5if
Advanced Class

Re: Log4OM Not Responding

Post by n5if »

As a follow-up to this.....

As I was trying to log a string of FT8 Q's I was watching the screen but also watching how much DX Cluster traffic was incoming due to the contest this weekend.

I had a thought - disconnect from the cluster - see what happens.

I disconnected and have not had an instance of the Not Responding since then.

Is there something that I can do to help with traffic collisions or the amount of info on a port somewhere that will allow me to have the cluster still connected and not have these, what appear to be, comm issues?

Greg
K9IG
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Try a different cluster server you might be using a server with rbn which during the biggest contest of the year will be manic
73 Terry G4POP
n5if
Advanced Class

Post by n5if »

The cluster that I was connected to when all of this was happening was the VE7CC system in the drop down.

I just connected to the cluster once more, but selected the WA9PIE system (no clue if it has RBN etc) but its pretty early here in the US still.

Testing:
-packet disconnected- Press OK after working a station - 22 seconds before log page is updated with new station
-packet connected - Press OK after working a station - 19 seconds before log page is updated with new stations

Not very conclusive other than its at least not throwing the No Response and locking for minutes at a time.

With that thought - is the 19-22 second log page (Recent QSO) update to be expected? I've not seen delays like this in the past and am just wondering if there is something I could do to optimize my setup to help reduce that timeframe?

Greg/K9IG
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

k9ig wrote: 27 Oct 2019, 09:36With that thought - is the 19-22 second log page (Recent QSO) update to be expected? I've not seen delays like this in the past and am just wondering if there is something I could do to optimize my setup to help reduce that timeframe?
No that delay is not expected and WA9PIE does have RBN and you have to send a command to turn it off

Try turning the cluster off (dissconnect) and see how the QSO save time is

You must allow for this being the busiest weekend of the year with cqww in full swing so clusters and on line lookup services are overwhelmed
73 Terry G4POP
n5if
Advanced Class

Post by n5if »

Packet Disconnected: 19.08 seconds from OK to Recent QSO tab populated with newly worked station.

Greg/K9IG
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Malware, virus, firewall? It's something local on your computer

Have you restarted your computer recently

Have you done a disk clean and defrag recently
73 Terry G4POP
n5if
Advanced Class

Post by n5if »

Windows Defender/Firewall = was ON/turned it off - 21 seconds to log
Restarted multiple times yesterday when this all started - have not done so this morning
Defrag shows 0% to be done - all good
Only disk clean-up were some temp files and thumbnails - all gone
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Follow the instructions on our web site for a support request, make sure you set to debug mode and repeat the save action before you send the support request.

Then email it to Lele or me - DO NOT POST THE FILE ON THE FORUM
73 Terry G4POP
n5if
Advanced Class

Post by n5if »

Will do - What level of debug is required?