Loss of CAT Control on TS-590SG

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Loss of CAT Control on TS-590SG

Post by G4POP »

Dave

Are you plugging the USB cable directly into the computer or is it connected to a USB hub?

Have you tried a different interface cable?

Did you try connecting the USB cable into a different socket on your computer?
73 Terry G4POP
N4CQ
Advanced Class

Post by N4CQ »

Are you plugging the USB cable directly into the computer or is it connected to a USB hub?

I am making a direct connection to the computer USB connection

Have you tried a different interface cable?

No, I have not tried that. I don't have a spare serial/USB cable but that is one possibility. I can see the COM port go active and hear the "chime"when i plug the cable in, but I suppose there could still be a problem with the cable. Cable is from RT Systems so it should be pretty good quality. I'll see if I can swap one out. It will take me some time to do this. Will get back to you

Did you try connecting the USB cable into a different socket on your computer?

Yes, I have tried three different USB connections on the computer.

Thanks for the advice/comments.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

I know you have tried the Kenwood software but try downloading Flrig or any other software with CAT control that does not use Omnirig and see if that connects
73 Terry G4POP
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

You dont need anything special for CAT control you can use a standard USB printer cable on the 590 have you tried that instead of using the data port?
73 Terry G4POP
N4CQ
Advanced Class

Post by N4CQ »

My set up is pretty simple. I don't run any other software on this computer with the TS 590SG, at least not yet. The only other CAT software I run is FT8, but that with different radio, on the same computer. I am not an FT8 fan, and it has been a long while since I even turned FT8 on. I'll give that a try and let you know.

BTW, the cable and the serial port on the radio should be good since the Kenwood control software did work, correct?
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

N4CQ wrote: 27 Nov 2019, 11:35BTW, the cable and the serial port on the radio should be good since the Kenwood control software did work, correct?
Never assume this is so, programs and therefore demands on connections vary so it does not necessarily follow. I would try a normal USB printer cable connection with the RT Systems cable removed just to be certain.

At this point you need to try literally anything because the normal tests have failed, so its a process of elimination.

I seem to recall there is a menu setting in the TS590 where you select the CAT connection between the ACC socket and the USB socket, have you checked that?

Last resort will be a factory reset of your radio but please try alternative non Omnirig software and a USB printer cable first.
73 Terry G4POP
N4CQ
Advanced Class

Post by N4CQ »

Understand Terry and thanks for the feedback. Yes, I realize that different programs might use the same cable with different demands. I'll try another cable as well as checking the CAT menu setting.

The KW software allows me to save all of my settings, so a complete reset is not that much of an issue - a last resort as you say.

I'll let you know what happens. All the best.

Dave
N4CQ
Advanced Class

Post by N4CQ »

Terry,

I wanted to follow up now that I am back at the station. I bought a new Serial/USB cable and swapped out the RT cable. No change. What I did try next was swapping out Rig 1 and Rig 2. When I switched to Rig 1, I got the CAT control back. Rig 2 with the identical settings would not work with the 590SG. I am going to try another radio on Rig 2 and see what happens. Any thoughts?

Dave
DF5WW
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by DF5WW »

Could be possible, but i´m not shure about this, that Omnirig hold the connection of Radio 1 and if it
try to connect Radio 2 the COM is in use. Not have a 590SG but 2 Radios connected to Omnirig. Both
working as TS-2000 but with different COM ports and all is fine here.

My Radios are the new Aerial51 ALT-512 and the second is an Adalm Pluto connected as Radio 2. Both
using the TS-2000 CAT protocol but they are connected via 2 different COM ports.

;) ;)
73´s .. Juergen ... ALT-512 SDR (10W) , 50 m random wire at SG-211 autotuner, 2 x Xiegu G90 (20W HF TRX) one as portable Radio. Also TS-790E (40 W) for VHF/UHF with X-50 vertical and Duoband 4-Element LPDA.
N4CQ
Advanced Class

Post by N4CQ »

I did not consider that possibility, but now that you mention it, I could see how that could be true. Thanks for the feedback. 73