Wrong mode in cluster spots

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
K5CKS
Advanced Class

Wrong mode in cluster spots

Post by K5CKS »

I have noticed many times that the wrong mode is displayed for cluster spots. For example this afternoon at 1806Z CO2BK was spotted on 10.136 Mhz as CW. That is the FT8 freq. At 1759Z VK9CZ was spotted on 7036.1 QSX 7037 as Digital. I suspect that he was actually CW. Is there something else I need to do to straighten this out?
Thanks & 73,
Rory, K5CKS
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Wrong mode in cluster spots

Post by G4POP »

K5CKS wrote: 16 Nov 2019, 18:19 I have noticed many times that the wrong mode is displayed for cluster spots. For example this afternoon at 1806Z CO2BK was spotted on 10.136 Mhz as CW. That is the FT8 freq. At 1759Z VK9CZ was spotted on 7036.1 QSX 7037 as Digital. I suspect that he was actually CW.
1. The cluster modes are derived from the bandplan, in your case Region 2 because the incoming spot information does not contain a MODE field just the occasional comment in the 'NOTES' field, put their by the spotter, saying what the mode is!

2. Because there is no RELIABLE mode information being received from the cluster we and other software programs use the bandplans which are decided through international agreement by the IARU.

3. The Region 2 IARU bandplan for 30 meters shows 10.130 to 10.140mhz as CW and Digital (See Region 2 30 meter IARU band plan below)

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (27.69 KiB) Viewed 2229 times

4. Joe Taylor decided that WSJT mode would be on certain spot frequencies, none of which are included in the IARU bandplans, they are however a digital mode so are correctly positioned.

5. You can edit the bandplan for your region and change CW to Digital by adding a specific frequency for FT8, its located in your C:\.....\AppData\Roaming\LogOM folder. We can only provide the internationally agreed bandplan frequencies the same as we have to abide to the recognised DXCC counties (Entities) list.

In version 2 of Log4OM we have added a 'Spot mode column' which gets populated by a mode shown in the NOTES field, but as stated this is only as reliable as the information added by the spotter and may not always be correct.
73 Terry G4POP
K5CKS
Advanced Class

Re: Wrong mode in cluster spots

Post by K5CKS »

Thanks Terry, that explains it very well. I thought the bandplan was probably available for edit. That is good to know and I will have a look at it. Thanks for the excellent help!
Rory Bowers, K5CKS