CW Mode

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
W1RET
Novice Class

CW Mode

Post by W1RET »

New user who is slowly converting over. So far so good. Using Omnirig for CAT control. Controlling 2 radios, a Flex 3000 and Yaesu FT-817ND.

Is there a reason why when I select a CW spot it will put the rig in CWL (Flex) or CWR (Yaesu) when selecting a spot on 160, 80 or 40 but will use CWU or CW for 30 meters and above. I understand the convention of LSB SSB operation on the lower bands and USB SSB operation on the higher bands but I don't recall seeing that used for CW operation. I suspect that it follows the band convention but I wonder if it is something that can be selected when operating on CW to keep it from changing from band to band?

Thanks and 73.

Jim W1RET
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: CW Mode

Post by G4POP »

Hi Jim,
Welcome to Log4OM and also this forum.

You are correct the convention is to use CW-U and only select CW-R to avoid an interfering signal that is causing you QRM.

I had not noticed that we change to CW-R on the lower bands as my CW operation is almost exclusively 20M and above, I will check this out.

73 Terry G4POP
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Log4OM uses a "band plan" file that integrate CAT when the user clicks on a spot.
The file is contained in the "storage" folder, into the user roaming folder (see the settings screen for a button that show this path)

The storage contains some files, called "bandplan_r1.xml", "bandplan_r2.xml" and "bandplan_r3.xml". (R1 means REGION 1 and so on)
These files contains the BAND PLAN that log4om uses for determining BAND from frequency and classifies the spots in phone/cw/digital mode

the file contains some blocks like:

<BandPlanRange>
<Band>160m</Band>
<Start>1810</Start>
<End>1838</End>
<BandUpperLimit>false</BandUpperLimit>
<EmissionType>CW</EmissionType>
<ModulationType>LSB</ModulationType>
</BandPlanRange>

In this block you see an example:
band 160 meters, from 1810 to 1838 Khz (this is not the last segment in this band) requires an emission type "CW" and modulation is set to LSB

If you change this file you can change the behaviour of Log4OM when identifying spot from cluster and drives the mode when calling omnirig/hamqth

Please note:
those files will be replaced when installing new releases. If you have plans to change this, please change the file and make a copy of the changed file with name like "bandplan_r1_user.xml".
This file will not be removed and in a future release (probably next one) it will be used, if present, instead of the installed one (priority to user file)

Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

w1ret wrote:New user who is slowly converting over. So far so good. Using Omnirig for CAT control. Controlling 2 radios, a Flex 3000 and Yaesu FT-817ND.

Is there a reason why when I select a CW spot it will put the rig in CWL (Flex) or CWR (Yaesu) when selecting a spot on 160, 80 or 40 but will use CWU or CW for 30 meters and above. I understand the convention of LSB SSB operation on the lower bands and USB SSB operation on the higher bands but I don't recall seeing that used for CW operation. I suspect that it follows the band convention but I wonder if it is something that can be selected when operating on CW to keep it from changing from band to band?

Thanks and 73.

Jim W1RET
Hi Jim,
I have just emailed you a zip file which contains the corrected bandplans

73 Terry G4POP
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

If anyone else needs the corrected bandplans just email me and I will send you the zip file

73 Terry G4POP
W1RET
Novice Class

Post by W1RET »

Thanks for the quick response. That worked great!

Jim W1RET