Mode reported to DX Cluster incorrect

General discussions about Log4OM features
WA2SQQ
Old Man

Mode reported to DX Cluster incorrect

Post by WA2SQQ »

Just worked a station on 40M SSB, on 7.137
The contact was logged as SSB, but the spot to the DX cluster was designated as DIGITAL.
This is the first time I've ever seen this.
Any guidance would be very much appreciated.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Mode reported to DX Cluster incorrect

Post by G4POP »

You worked him on SSB and the QSO was saved as SSB which is correct.

The cluster designation being different could be because the spotter incorrectly recorded the spot or you are using the wrong band plan in the Log4OM options.
73 Terry G4POP
WA2SQQ
Old Man

Post by WA2SQQ »

1. I was the original "spotter", so the "digital" designation would have had to originate by me. I use the Flex 6500, and it was in SSB mode. Shouldn't LOG4OM pick up that data from the radio?
2. In case it is relevant, I use the "PHONE" filter when viewing the Cluster, so I would not have seen it had it been posted (as DIGITAL) by someone else.
3. I suspect it would have to be related to the wrong band plan. I looked through the options menu and did not see where this option can be selected.

For the next version now in development, would it be possible to ask the user (during installation) where they are located so the correct band plan can be loaded?

In advance, Thanks Terry!
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

WA2SQQ wrote:For the next version now in development, would it be possible to ask the user (during installation) where they are located so the correct band plan can be loaded?!

We do! Its in the Options/station info tab, just below where you are forced to enter your call sign

Select the correct region and the correct bandplan is matched by the software
73 Terry G4POP
WA2SQQ
Old Man

Post by WA2SQQ »

Very strange - all those settings are correct, yet the info being sent to the cluster in that part of 40m is incorrect. Last night, once again, I sent an SSB spot and it appears as "digital" on the cluster. I read in the manual that the band plans can be edited using a "special button". That was the only mention I found. Could this be the cause, and what is that procedure?
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Please let me have exact frequency details of your transmissions that cause digital spot reporting
73 Terry G4POP
WA2SQQ
Old Man

Post by WA2SQQ »

Worked a station on 40M SSB, on 7.137
The contact was logged as SSB, but the spot to the DX cluster was designated as DIGITAL.
K7PT
Old Man

Post by K7PT »

I just sent a spot with the freq you describe and it works normal for me, shows as SSB in the cluster and filters.

I suspect that it's the cluster you are using.

Try a different cluster and see what the result is.
K7PT-Chuck "#1 Top of the Honor Roll"
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

Hi Robert,

Your bandplan file determines which mode is displayed in the Mode field of your Cluster display.

To solve this, go to your configuration folder (Help/Open Configuration Folder), and find the bandplan291.xml file. (see last paragraph, below, if you do not have this file). Open that file with Notepad. Scroll down to the section on 40m. If yours is like mine, the BandPlanRange for 7035 to 7150 is designated as "Digital". Your spot of 7,137 is in this range. Basically the Mode field in the Cluster display uses this plan to determine mode, not the mode sent in the spot report. So your spot was correct, just the interruption of the spot in your Log4OM cluster was off, due to the band plan.

If you want to alter this band plan, you can copy this file to a file called bandplan291_user.xml, then modify the plan to make the Digital section smaller or as you wish. That way, your bandplan291_user.xml file will be preserved after a program update where there may be a new bandplan291.xml file furnished.

I should also mention that there is a hierarchy of bandplan files. If you do not have a bandplan291.xml file (291 DXCC entity), then the bandplan_r2.xml file is used. (Region 2). So you can create a bandplan_r2_user.xml file if you do not have a bandplan291.xml file.

Doug - W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
WA2SQQ
Old Man

Post by WA2SQQ »

So, from your explanation. any SSB contact made from 7.125 - 7.150 would be sent as "Digital"? I suspect there are many more SSB contacts being sent to the cluster than digital. That would explain it. Since most of the digital modes congregate within a very small portion of the band, I think I'm going to try and modify the file according to how it's used, and not by how it's allocated. Many thanks!

This might also carry over to designating the "AM Windows" on each band.