Mode reported to DX Cluster incorrect

General discussions about Log4OM features
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Re: Mode reported to DX Cluster incorrect

Post by IW3HMH »

Please note that in V1 the bandplan reports YOUR view of the situation.
So, if in REGION 1 frequency X is reported as DIGITAL and in REGION 2 the same frequency is reported in PHONE, your counterpart from REGION 2 may be effectively transmitting using voice, but Log4OM shows that from your view and says that IN THIS FREQUENCY you should work DIGITAL.

It's a different view...

Using your bandplan (current V1 works that way) the spot is saying: someone is transmitting in the DIGITAL portion of your bandplan. I don't know if it's effectively DIGITAL, but you can answer here only using DIGITAL. Go listen and decide.

Using the counterpart bandplan (the originating callsign bandplan) the spot will says: someone is transmitting in DIGITAL (if he is respecting the band plan, of course), so this spot is effectively DIGITAL. It doesn't warn you that you cannot answer because this frequency, in your bandplan, is PHONE.

We choosed first approach for Log4OM when the software represent the spot in your spot list. It's an extimation, not the real situation, as spot doesn't contain this information (except in the case we parse the spot notes trying to guess)
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
W2MJP
Old Man

Post by W2MJP »

Thank you for your replies. I don't know why I said region 1, I am in region 2 and I knew that as I already have the band plan set for region 2. I also understand that this is not a new issue and that it is the way that Log4om is written or developed. It would be nice if it could be fixed for NA. I know if its spotted by another op with a different band plan it shows digital but will log in my logbook as ssb. But when the rig control on my 7300 is used it goes to USB because its shows it in digital in the cluster. Small detail I know. But annoying. Thanks for all of the hard work you guys do at LOG4OM. 73
Mike-W2MJP
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Why not modify the bandplan as documented elsewhere on this forum and save it as a user bandplan
73 Terry G4POP
W2MJP
Old Man

Post by W2MJP »

It seems troublesome. I would love to but I am not as computer savvy as you guys. Perhaps I can read it a few times and give it a try. If there is a tutorial on how this can be done. I’m sure many would appreciate it. ;)
Mike-W2MJP
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

W2MJP wrote: 22 Jan 2019, 22:12 It seems troublesome. I would love to but I am not as computer savvy as you guys. Perhaps I can read it a few times and give it a try. If there is a tutorial on how this can be done. I’m sure many would appreciate it. ;)
Doug gives the explanation how to do it earlier in this thread
73 Terry G4POP
W2MJP
Old Man

Post by W2MJP »

Ok Terry
I will read it again and maybe give it a go. Thanks for all you do and your quick replies as always.
Mike-W2MJP
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

If you really get stuck email me with exactly how YOU think the frequencies/modes should be for the band and I will create a file.

With thousands of US users I can't understand how this has only come up maybe 4 times?
73 Terry G4POP
W2MJP
Old Man

Post by W2MJP »

Ok thanks Terry. I always noticed it, I just lived with it for a long time. As it is not the end of the world. But as I started using CAT rig control with the ic 7300 I noticed every time I clicked on a call in the cluster and it was below 7.150 is was showing as Digital and it will change the radio to USB mode. Kind of defeats the idea of CAT control if I have to change the mode in the radio. I figured if there is a easy fix why not do it.
Mike-W2MJP
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

If it's an Icom radio see if Omnirig have a IC7300 data rig ini in the list

Changing the bandplan won't help stop that issue because Icom radios need a double command to get to USB D mode

So all we can do is change to USB unless you want to use RTTY
73 Terry G4POP
W2MJP
Old Man

Post by W2MJP »

Thanks Terry. I just figured that out too. I was able to change the band plan by following Dougs instructions but as stated it still will not solve my issue. Its the mode that needs to be changed so the radio recognizes that's its ssb phone not digital. Thanks I will just leave it alone.
Mike-W2MJP