Grid Square Not Saved

General discussions about Log4OM features
k9bm
Novice Class

Grid Square Not Saved

Post by k9bm »

A new user, and I really did RTFM, but I have a setup config problem: When I enter my grid square in the "My Locator" field of the Station Info tab and click the save icon, the screen goes away and I assume all is well. But if I immediately open up the settings menu and select the Station Info tab, the "My Locator" field is red and blank. I have (foolishly) repeated this a dozen or more times, it never fails (or I should say it never works as it should). Is this a bug, or am I missing something?

73....Brad K9BM
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Re: Grid Square Not Saved

Post by IW3HMH »

Hi Brad, welcome :)
It's a very strange behaviour as this is a function where everyone should pass thru and we had no issues so far.
What is the locator you're trying to add? Can you kindly check if there are any kind of error in the program log?

Log contains a lot of info and tracks all issues, for any kind of situation. You can find it on "HELP -> show program log" menu.
Usually errors are marked with ERROR on head followed by a couple of technical info, you usually should see them easily

Remember that log is cleared daily, so you must reproduce the issue in the same day to view it in the log.

Daniele IW3HMH
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
k9bm
Novice Class

Post by k9bm »

I just restarted the program, the error still exists, and I see nothing specifically about it in the log other than "FileManagement: CONFIG save completed." The grid square is DN55as and I believe I have just found the problem. I had been just entering DN55 as that's the only info that WSJT-X transmits. Log4OM never complained, it simply didn't save it. When I entered the full 6-character grid square designation, it became persistent! Perhaps consider forcing this field to be 6-alpha characters and not allowing a save with only 4-characters?

73....Brad K9BM
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

log4om require 6 digits because it's more accurate. Locator is used to determine bearing and distances, and a 4 digits square is not defined enough to allow "decent" bearing calculation when working VHF.

What WSJT use is not necessary related to what Log4OM use internally.
I'll check if there are limits on the gridsquare save when receiving data from external sources, but i don't remember nothing about that...
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH