What else is needed?

KA4CSM
Novice Class

What else is needed?

Post by KA4CSM »

I am 68 and not technically proficient. I have been a ham for several years but never had a logging program. I decided on log40m. I am running Windows 10, already downloaded and installed drivers for it. I downloaded log40m version 2 and followed the instructions to install. When I type in a call sign I get no response from QRZ although I put in appropriate information during setup. When I connected the icom 7300 to my laptop with a good usb cable nothing happens. Although it says it is running properly. Do I need to run fl digi or something else along with it. I don’t see a utube video that addresses this. Thanks. KA4CSM
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: What else is needed?

Post by NN7D »

Mike,
We like to have users use their callsign for login name, that way we know what area of the globe they are located. Helps us to help users in many ways. If you give me your callsign, I'll change your login to it.

Then we can help you with your questions.

Thanks,

Doug
W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

Mike,

Welcome and once you get Log4OM2 properly configured you will be good to go. I've included two links below for YouTube videos that Terry Genes has done to help everyone out.

Make sure you download both the Users Guide and the Quick Start Guide and read and re-read them. The initial setup is quite well explained. Your comments are telling me that you have possibly not filled everything out that is initially required for operation.

You noted you have selected QRZ.com as your data source. If your have a current and active membership/subscription with them then you can get the data to fill in. Free access won't let you pull down the data. You could consider using HAMQTH instead as it is free.

Quick Start Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gvR_Ngpeqw

Configuration Setup Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVYzSbEQT00
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

W7DRM wrote: 20 Jan 2020, 00:26 Mike,
We like to have users use their callsign for login name, that way we know what area of the globe they are located. Helps us to help users in many ways. If you give me your callsign, I'll change your login to it.

Thanks,

Doug
W7DRM
Doug ... I just saw he signed his post with: KA4CSM
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

Hi Mike,

You say - "When I type in a call sign I get no response from QRZ although I put in appropriate information during setup." Can you explain in more detail - when I get to a call sign...where? When you enter a callsign in the callsign field, you don't get any information about the call?

If that is the case - if you have selected QRZ as your primary source in Confurations, Info Providers tab, then you must have a paid QRZ subscription to get much data like grid from QRZ. If you don't have a paid subscription, then I would recommend signing up for HamQTH (free) and using them as your primary source.

If I am off base, please correct me.

On your other question - "When I connected the icom 7300 to my laptop with a good usb cable nothing happens." Do you have OmniRig installed and configured? Also, did you download and install the ICOM driver for the IC-7300? Again, see the manual for specific instructions for setting up OmniRig. Here is a video on IC-7300 and OmniRig setup I found online by Googling "Cat control for IC-7300". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n6NWh0Cmpo

No, you do not need to run FLdigi or any other digital program, but you need to have OmniRig installed. And OmniRig set to run in the Log4OM Configuration, CAT tab. Then upon Log4OM start up, it will start OmniRig if it is not already running.

Hope this helps,

Doug
W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
KA4CSM
Novice Class

Post by KA4CSM »

Thanks for the quick reply’s. I now know what I must do; get a paid subscription to QRZ and install Omnirig.
KA4CSM
Novice Class

Post by KA4CSM »

I’ve installed omnirig. Other than parity which defaulted to 500 and I changed to 200 I didn’t change any of the other defaults. It selected Com 1 which I left there. Once I closed this screen there is no icon or any other indication that Omnirig was installed. Is this normal? Now when I open Log4om I still see no activity. It does say “off line” in the top left corner. Thanks for all you help!
KA4CSM
Novice Class

Post by KA4CSM »

I checked the device manager on my laptop (Windows 10) and it showed Log4om running on com 3.
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

Hi Mike,

You are making progress!

Did you install the ICOM driver first? You can download the driver from the ICOM Japan website - here - https://www.icom.co.jp/world/support/do ... 0/usb1_20/

To determine which com port your USB connection from the radio is occupying - do this. Open Device manager, ports - so you see the com ports connected to your computer. Then unplug the USB cable from in back of your radio. Did a port disappear from Device Manager? If so, that is the port which OmniRig needs to be set to. Now plug the USB cable back into the radio and confirm the com port number. Now set OmniRig to use that port.

Note that the baud rate set in OmniRig needs to be the same as the baud rate set in the radio. See the video I referenced earlier in this post.

There is an alternative to a paid subscription to QRZ, and that is to sign up for free account with HamQTH and use them as the primary Info Provider in Configurations, Info Providers tab.

Let us know how it goes.

Doug
W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
KA4CSM
Novice Class

Post by KA4CSM »

Thanks Doug, you have been very helpful. I have it up and running. Now I just have to learn how to use it :-)