About Log4OM integration

General discussions V2
IW3HMH
Site Admin

About Log4OM integration

Post by IW3HMH »

Some thoughts on system integration.

Some applications interface directly and "natively" with others. In this case the link is so close that if one of them changes, the other one doesn't work anymore. In other cases applications display a network port (sometimes selectable) and others use it.
Frankly speaking I've seen few applications that allow the same flexibility in terms of data reception and transmission on UDP like Log4OM 2, but this doesn't solve all the problems, because some applications, as said above, interface closely with specific functions of the other software.

This is the reason why, today, JTAlert cannot read the Log4OM 2 database: The Log4OM database has changed.
That said, the world of interconnections between systems is moving, for "non-critical" communications to UDP communication, compared to TCP communication, because it allows a much greater flexibility and an equally improved simplicity. This is why in the first version of Log4OM 2 we did not introduce TCP. And it is also possible that some applications used TCP to communicate with Log4OM because Log4OM v1 did not have many other reception methods.

We are considering introducing TCP, because it is possible that other colleagues who create applications may have the same desire to switch to UDP in their communications to Log4OM.

Surely communication in such an articulated world is almost an artistic matter. There is not only one way to do things, and I have seen with pleasure many colleagues invent ingenious solutions and think "out of the box". I share with you how I use JTDX, JTAlert and Log4OM v2 today, consider it another way.

First of all I have enabled in JTAlert the transmission of QSOs via UDP:
JTAlert Settings menu: Logging -> LAST QSO API -> Enable transmission of last QSO. I'm receiving it in Log4OM on port 2333 as ADIF INBOUND

Then i have enabled in JTAlert -> Applications -> WSJT-X / JTDX the option Rebroadcast WSJT-X UDP packets on port 2334. Log4OM is listening with JT_MESSAGE service on that port.

This will enable Log4OM to receive QSO and lookups while working a callsign (due to the message format, the callsign message is not arriving on the first stage of the QSO but doesn't belong to Log4OM)

by the way, with this system, nothing prevents you to have V1 running and aligned by JTAlert in the old way, providing statistics to JTAlert until they will release their integration routines. I'm actually working without JTAlert statistics, but it's a choice
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
va3vf
Advanced Class

Re: About Log4OM integration

Post by va3vf »

IW3HMH wrote: 19 Jan 2020, 07:24 This will enable Log4OM to receive QSO and lookups while working a callsign (due to the message format, the callsign message is not arriving on the first stage of the QSO but doesn't belong to Log4OM)

by the way, with this system, nothing prevents you to have V1 running and aligned by JTAlert in the old way, providing statistics to JTAlert until they will release their integration routines. I'm actually working without JTAlert statistics, but it's a choice
Not sure if possible, but I would really like the ability to lookup a callsign in Log4OM by clicking once on a callsign in either JTAlert and/or JTDX without enabling TX. If that's already possible, please let me know.

On the topic of engines, that's a nice way to interface with packages that offer it. MMVARI, MMTTY, FLDIGI, are the ones that come to mind right away.

73 de Vince
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

we're examinating JT format protocol, that is a bit out of our scope but if it's easy we can work with.
Priority, today, is to catch and fix bugs
va3vf
Advanced Class

Post by va3vf »

IW3HMH wrote: 24 Jan 2020, 16:04 Priority, today, is to catch and fix bugs
I agree.
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

W7DRM wrote: 25 Jan 2020, 03:45 Not sure if possible, but I would really like the ability to lookup a callsign in Log4OM by clicking once on a callsign in either JTAlert and/or JTDX without enabling TX. If that's already possible, please let me know.

73 de Vince
Hi Vince,

That is an issue with JTDX or WSJTx. If they had a option for single click on decode to load the decodes call into the DX Call field, then you would have that capability. And double click would load and go into TX. That feature has been suggested several times on the WSJTx forum. We can't control that from Log4OM.

However you can have that capability with JTAlert, as it does pass the UDP call info back to WSJTx or JTDX with a single click, thus triggering the UDP message to Log4OM. The new JTAlert release with integration for Log4OM does just that.

Another option is to disable "double click to enable TX" setting in WSJTx. Then a double click won't enable TX. You would have to enable it with a separate click on the Enable TX button.

We will have some recommended settings for all those integrations out after we conclude testing.

Doug - W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

New JTAlert has this feature.
You can use it the Log4OM V2 settings of JTAlert
Another option is rebroadcast of messages coming from JTDX/WSJT-X to another port, where log4om is listening. This will automatically fill the data on new callsign worked and cleanup them.

Actually JTAlert doesn't clear callsigns when QSO is logged, as there wasn't an appropriate service listener.
I will implement it soon, so JTAlert could, in future, provide also the cleanup message.
IK0TIX
Advanced Class

Post by IK0TIX »

Hi Daniele, forgive me if I ask the question again (repetita iuvant), but why could the V1 version manage the TX (for example fldigi) via localhost while the V2 does not do the same?
For me it's not a problem, I use a com splitter with ease, mine is a simple curiosity of a non-expert
Max IK0TIX