Backup Program Configuration

KA4CDN
Old Man

Backup Program Configuration

Post by KA4CDN »

How can I back up my configuration settings?
And would that save all the fine tuning done to various grid column selections, sizes, order, etc? If not, are they hard to back up?

Mike
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Backup Program Configuration

Post by G4POP »

Your configuration is automatically saved with the auto backups

However if you look in y or config user folder you will find all of your user files and can if you wish make copies
73 Terry G4POP
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

KA4CDN wrote: 10 Feb 2020, 21:28 How can I back up my configuration settings?
And would that save all the fine tuning done to various grid column selections, sizes, order, etc? If not, are they hard to back up?

Mike
Mike,

The User Guide provides data about backups and multiple locations if you so choose.

Look in "current" User Guide starting on Page 132 and then go to Page 152. Or you can open the User Guide and do a search for "backup" and you can scroll through the locations going over the backup function/operations.
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
KA4CDN
Old Man

Post by KA4CDN »

Ok I missed that the configuration is backed up as well. Thank you for pointing that out. The manual does say:

"The backup files contain copies of the following critical files.
- ADIF file of the database
- Main Configuration file"

Do you think if I want to replicate all my Log4OMv2 settings on another computer; station info, defined alert settings, etc, including all my grid views are all in that Main Configuration file? I know from previous answers there are other files, for example the Telnet command file that one can edit directly and those I would think would be up to the user themselves to backup. Not sure about defined Alerts, grid views, etc.

Mike
KA4CDN
Old Man

Post by KA4CDN »

Well now the question is, how do I load a backed up configuration?
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KD0ZV »

KA4CDN wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 14:57 Well now the question is, how do I load a backed up configuration?
Good question as the V2 seems to be incomplete with restoring.

V1 manual had good detail about restoring but I could not find that in Version 2.
Rich
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team
KA4CDN
Old Man

Post by KA4CDN »

I'm very certain it is possible to restore/load because I've sent my configuration in on a prior support issue. I received a response to the effect that they were able to duplicate my problem using my configuration.

Perhaps one of the development team can chime in with instructions?

Mike
Thoroughly impressed with the new V2 interface and can't wait to switch over 100%.
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

RE: Restoring Log4OM ...

Have y'all looked at Page 152 of the "current" User Guide? Will the information there help out a tad?

Make sure you have downloaded the current version.

It is wise to check for User Guide updates on a regular basis for new information.
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KD0ZV »

KI5IO wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 15:19 RE: Restoring Log4OM ...

Have y'all looked at Page 152 of the "current" User Guide? Will the information there help out a tad?
Actually yes. But there is incomplete information there.

In a nutshell it tells you the backup contains ADIF file, Main config file and historic files.

It does not tell you what to do with them f you need to restore. As an example copy these files to c:\.....
Rich
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team
KA4CDN
Old Man

Post by KA4CDN »

I've figure a few things out.

The backed up configuration data is stored in the Backup directory. In my case, on a Windows10 OS, it is in:
C:\Users\mdann\AppData\Roaming\Log4OM2\backup

The filenames look like: KA4CDN_20200210_155534_config.json

I found a config.json file in the directory: C:\Users\mdann\AppData\Roaming\Log4OM2\user

By copying a KA4CDN_20200210_155534_config.json to the user subdirectory and renaming to config.json, I was able to restore the Settings. The Alerts I defined got restored. I don't know if all the grid column selections, order and widths came over because ...

I can't connect to the SQLITE database. At first I tried connecting to the existing (and functional) databsae on the original computer (Win7 OS) via a shared drive and then by copying the database to the new Win10 computer. In both cases I get an error on Open and Test that says: "Connect test failed - Database seems not valid". So there must still be something else I need to do.

I know I could make a new database and import the ADIF but the goal here is to work on the same database from a second computer. I don't want to manaul try to keep in sync two different database files.

So I'm close but no cigar yet. Any insights?
Mike