V1 not able to send long callsigns (e.g. XXnSTAYHOME) for QRZ.com lookup

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
yo3ipr
Advanced Class

Re: V1 not able to send long callsigns (e.g. XXnSTAYHOME) for QRZ.com lookup

Post by yo3ipr »

and as if by magic...

read here https://www.qrz.com/db/wx3b

Announcement: I will be using the special call sign WX3B/STAYHOME during the month of April!! The original idea for this originated when I heard 9K9STAYHOME on the radio, and watched some European stations adopt similar special call signs. The ARRL recently reminded everyone of this opportunity here:

http://www.arrl.org/news/use-of-special ... 9-pandemic

I see that the V1 cluster window can't handle that either, it drops the last letter ! so now we need to manage 13 characters for this callsign, and since some US calls have 6 characters we may need to manage up to 15 characters e.g. WA1XYZ/STAYHOME !!

What next I wonder?

I hope there will be a maintenance for for V1 to solve this as well as an update to V2. I realized too late I posted this in the V2 section of the forum. Feel free to move it.

Thanks
Tony YO3IPR
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

yo3ipr wrote: 13 Apr 2020, 21:38 and as if by magic...

read here https://www.qrz.com/db/wx3b

Announcement: I will be using the special call sign WX3B/STAYHOME during the month of April!! The original idea for this originated when I heard 9K9STAYHOME on the radio, and watched some European stations adopt similar special call signs. The ARRL recently reminded everyone of this opportunity here:

http://www.arrl.org/news/use-of-special ... 9-pandemic

I see that the V1 cluster window can't handle that either, it drops the last letter ! so now we need to manage 13 characters for this callsign, and since some US calls have 6 characters we may need to manage up to 15 characters e.g. WA1XYZ/STAYHOME !!

What next I wonder?

I hope there will be a maintenance for for V1 to solve this as well as an update to V2. I realized too late I posted this in the V2 section of the forum. Feel free to move it.

Thanks
Tony YO3IPR
Tony,

Not to worry. The character count impacts both V1 and V2. Danielle has it on the list for an update.

The US calls with up to 6-characters for the main call sign and then certainly grow the count.
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

I will use, during april month, IW3HMH/IAMRUNNINGFT897FROMMYHOMESHACKPLEASESTAYHOME
Only CW QSO please.
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
yo3ipr
Advanced Class

Post by yo3ipr »

:lol: :lol:
yo3ipr
Advanced Class

Post by yo3ipr »

Any time line for a long callsign update for V1?

Thanks Tony YO3IPR
yo3ipr
Advanced Class

Post by yo3ipr »

Hi All,
Any update on this. There are still long callsigns out there (2 worked today OO4UZLEUVEN & OQ5BECLEVER) and they still do not work in v1 (lookup fails with QRZ.com just like before).

Thanks
Tony YO3IPR
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Hi Tony,
i'll probably fix that in the next week. Busy on V2 actually.
Personally i will not contact those kind of calls... it makes no sense to me (personal opinion, of course)
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
DF5WW
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by DF5WW »

Misterious think that hams making callsing like this activ. It´s o.k. to have special event calls
for city jubilees or for some historic things but in the press we read enough about corona. and
what´s to do. Dont need "STAYHOME", "BECLEVER" or others like this. From time to time you can
think that more special event calls are existing than active hams.

What´s next ? DL65GOTOWORKANDSAVERETIREMENTMONEY :lol: :lol: :lol:
73´s .. Juergen ... ALT-512 SDR (10W) , 50 m random wire at SG-211 autotuner, 2 x Xiegu G90 (20W HF TRX) one as portable Radio. Also TS-790E (40 W) for VHF/UHF with X-50 vertical and Duoband 4-Element LPDA.
yo3ipr
Advanced Class

Post by yo3ipr »

Thanks Danielle and Juergen

Unfortuantely, these long calls have set a trend in some countries. It seems bizarre to me that in Poland for example I have seen special calls for "40 years on air" - would be crazy if we all did this every 5 or 10 years - and other strange things. Special Events are supposed to be about something in the public interest, in which we can broadly include 100 years of a national radio society for example. It seems that many regulators forgot the established rules now that we have more lawyers than technically well informed people in those agencies in many countries.

73 Tony YO3IPR