No Predefined config for WAS Award in Award Status

Update and distribution of news relating to awards

Moderator: OE6CLD

K0HD
Novice Class

No Predefined config for WAS Award in Award Status

Post by K0HD »

I'm a new user. So far, I love the product. I've been able to load all my old QSO's from an LOTW adif download, from paper QSL cards, and from paper logs. I've been able to set QSL and LOTW status for Sent and Received QSL's properly, Also, I've been able to make DXCC award country lists in LOG4OM match online ARRL DXCC award country lists for all categories, about 370 individual country/mode/band QSL's Also, I've interfaced N1MM Logger, WSJT-X, SDRUNO, and PstRotator to LOG4OM.

So far, the only thing I cannot figure out is how to make any of the various WAS category lists in the ARRL WAS award list match anything in the LOG4OM Award Status > WAS > Award view. Actually, the predefined config input field does not list any predefined configs for WAS. For example, although I've worked and received LOTW confirmations for all fifty States on 80 meters, LOG4OM only shows one confirmed QSO, no matter what combination of Worked/EQSL/LOTW/QSL I select I've tried various filters, with no improvement, usually made things worse.

I'm sure I'm overlooking something simple, but I cannot figure it out, and I cannot find anything in the on-line forums that helps.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: No Predefined config for WAS Award in Award Status

Post by G4POP »

You need to contact our awards manager Claus about this.

Meanwhile I will move the thread to the awards section
73 Terry G4POP
OE6CLD
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by OE6CLD »

Hi John,
thanks for letting us know that you enjoy Log4OM. Let me provide some details, how the WAS award is working. I am not aware of any issues, so it must be something simple (but not abvious).

Usually, if you are using QRZ or any other info provider, everything will be done automatically. I have entered your call in my log and everything was prepopulated. If you open a QSL in Log4OM, the important tab is the "Award Refs." tab. For US stations it should be similar to yours:

WAS.jpg
WAS.jpg (111.87 KiB) Viewed 3089 times

Please have a look at some of the US QSOs that are not shown if they have a valid WAS entry in the awards list. If not, please enter one manually by clicking on Award and selecing WAS from the dropdown list. Next double-click on the correct state in the prepopulated References list. You should have ONE WAS entry in the awards list.

Don't forget to save the QSO by clicking on the green check! Do this for a few other QSOs and then check the award under View -> Award Status -> WAS. According to your QSL status (worked, confirmed, verified) you should see them now in your WAS Award report. If you are using an info provider like QRZ you also can click on the globe icon, in this case all information will be retrieved from QRZ. Don't forget to save the QSO afterwards!

Please let me know if this has resolved your WAS issue. Can you also please let me know how you have entered these QSOs and if you are using an info provider like QRZ or QRZCQ.

Thanks and 73,
Claus, OE6CLD
Claus, OE6CLD/DJ0DX/EI7JZ
K0HD
Novice Class

Post by K0HD »

Hello Clause,

Thank you for your detailed explanation. Free software and excellent support -- amazing. I planned to make a donation, but haven't yet. I will do that immediately. The main reason I chose Log4OM is because it seemed intuitive and interfaced to other software I am using such as N1MM+ logger, WSJT-X, and SDR Uno.

My issue is resolved - I found a solution through experimentation, but basically it corresponds to what you told me. The part that was new from your explanation is the use of the "award refs" tab.

Most of my previous 5100 QSO's were loaded into Log4OM using an adif file which I downloaded from my database on LOTW. LOTW did not provide State information unless the QSO had been confirmed in LOTW. Remaining QSO's were loaded using adif files from N1MM+ Logger, WSJT-X, and manual entry from 650 old QSL cards. It was a huge job, because I had to create spreadsheets and cross reference QSO's to avoid duplicates and fix incorrect information. I then went through every QSO in Log4OM to update from the QRZ database, one by one. At the end I realized I could have done that semi-automatically using "QSO manager, Update info" function. There was, however a slight advantage in doing it manually because I was able to make corrections as I went. During the process, I was encouraged to see the award status gradually becoming more accurate. I am now able to precisely match QSL information between LOTW and Award Status reporting for DXCC and WAS.

I really like the software and am seeing new functions and ways of doing things almost daily. BTW, back in the 1980's and 1990's I ran a software development company with about 150 employees. Things in the software world have changed a lot since then. Most of our development was done then using the "C" programming language, whereas now days most development is done using high level, web oriented computer languages.

Again, thank you for your excellent support.