Worked Japanese Prefectures Award

Update and distribution of news relating to awards

Moderator: OE6CLD

vk1di
Advanced Class

Worked Japanese Prefectures Award

Post by vk1di »

I found the existing Worked all Japanese Prefectures Award (WAJA) not that user friendly, I have made hundreds of JA contacts and it would take ages to add them individually into the award as references. Instead I redesigned it as a user award, and used the Award type QSOFIELDS to scan the QSO State field. In this field is stored the Prefecture in the form No // Prefecture eg 01 // Hokkaido-do. This is coming from when I update the QSO data from an external source. Most of the recent contacts seem to have this recorded in the QSO State field. It works well. I'm attaching the award XML file for anyone wanting to try it. After import It will show as WAJPA to be different to the existing WAJA. After importing it in you may need to do Maintenance Rescan Award References then refresh the Award View to see the data.

73 Ian VK1DI
Attachments
award_wajpa.xml
(21.15 KiB) Downloaded 520 times
vk5pj
Novice Class

Re: Worked Japanese Prefectures Award

Post by vk5pj »

Hello Ian,
I was wondering if you have a few minutes to see if you can steer me in the right direction on your adaption of the WAJA award?
I have worked thousands of JA stations on 50 MHz since 1980 so the thought turned to whether I might indeed have WAJA asleep in my logs :-)

I have imported the XML all okay and see it as a an award with a green square in the manager but when it come to the view of the log status it is empty. I can see in a sample of the JA contacts that there is locality and prefecture data... scratching my head, log4om v2.20 on Windows 10..
Regards,
Peter, vk5pj ex vk8zlx
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

Moved to the Award Support Section.
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

vk5pj wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 10:07 Hello Ian,
I was wondering if you have a few minutes to see if you can steer me in the right direction on your adaption of the WAJA award?
I have worked thousands of JA stations on 50 MHz since 1980 so the thought turned to whether I might indeed have WAJA asleep in my logs :-)

I have imported the XML all okay and see it as a an award with a green square in the manager but when it come to the view of the log status it is empty. I can see in a sample of the JA contacts that there is locality and prefecture data... scratching my head, log4om v2.20 on Windows 10..
Regards,
Peter, vk5pj ex vk8zlx

You will need to rescan the award
73 Terry G4POP
vk5pj
Novice Class

Post by vk5pj »

Hello Terry & Ian,
have run the maintenance on the imported award lots of times (after each change I try) but zero luck so far, was able to get the original WAJA award to show one contact after I went through and assigned values in a contact record (long process). Thought the other process from Ian might require less work but I guess I was wrong. Then again my understanding of the awards viewer might be the part where I am going wrong but for now I am at a dead end.

Regards,
Peter vk5pj
vk1di
Advanced Class

Post by vk1di »

Hi Peter,

My WAJPA award looks in the "State" field of the QSO, this should have a numeric value set for Japanese QSOs. eg 1 for Hokkaido.
If not you need to manually select the state for each QSO in a QSO edit. This took me quite some time with over 1000 JA contacts...
Although you can do some bulk updates by searching in the QTH field. Try setting a couple for a test and doing a refresh.

Ian VK1DI
vk5pj
Novice Class

Post by vk5pj »

Hi Ian,
ah that might be where I have gone wrong, will try updating that field and see how I go.

regards,
Peter
vk5pj
Novice Class

Post by vk5pj »

Well,
I never did get this to work, none of my JA contacts get any detail populated in the Country or Town fields. Have tried a number of different things to get this to get data from QRZ but they are all still empty. Its sad as another HAm has it working by in his words "pressing random buttons"

Peter, vk5pj
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

vk5pj wrote: 12 Aug 2023, 07:48 Well,
I never did get this to work, none of my JA contacts get any detail populated in the Country or Town fields. Have tried a number of different things to get this to get data from QRZ but they are all still empty. Its sad as another HAm has it working by in his words "pressing random buttons"

Peter, vk5pj
Peter,

An one wonders what those "random buttons" and possible sequence are and in which APP he is "pressing" same?? :?:
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
ct7aus
New user

Post by ct7aus »

Did anyone had any luck with this process? the xml file seems correct, the issue for me is that Log4OM is not populating the state field from external sources. Not sure which external source I should be using in this case. I'm using QRZ.com as primary and QRZCQ as backup info provider. No matter what I do, the state field does not get populated. Does anyone know a way to batch fill the state info from the call prefix ?

On another thought, how does log4om get the references to populate the award references field on each qso (see attached pic) ? what would be needed to have the WAJA reference appear there as well?

Cheers!
Attachments
ar.png
ar.png (8.69 KiB) Viewed 6815 times