Accented Characters Not Displaying

KJ9Z
Novice Class

Accented Characters Not Displaying

Post by KJ9Z »

I am considering using Log4OM and have a question regarding accented characters.

I have imported .adi files from my current logging software. I have confirmed that the .adi files properly display accented charaters in MS Notepad using Windows 10. This is an example of an address: "Industriezentrum NÖ-Süd, Straße"

After importing the .adi file, the Log4OM grid displays this address differently and the characters export looking like this: "Industriezentrum N�-S�d, Stra�e"

However, when I look at the station name it is represented correctly when Log4OM returns the QRZ lookup data: "Övsv-Hq"

I have searched for settings that might control which character page to use and I have searched this forum, but I cannot find a solution. Can someone tell me what I might be doing wrong?
KJ9Z OE0HQ.jpg
KJ9Z OE0HQ.jpg (140.82 KiB) Viewed 376 times
73 - Jim Plahitko - KJ9Z
Indianapolis, IN
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Accented Characters Not Displaying

Post by KI5IO »

Jim,

Log4OM utilizes the fonts installed in your Windows 10 or 11 O/S.

Check the font list in your respective O/S and see if one there is suitable.

Or you can also d/l and install an accented font package and then use that.

Terry will have some more discreet information when he has a chance to see your post here on the Forum.
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
KJ9Z
Novice Class

Post by KJ9Z »

Nolan

Thank you for your reply. Using the Character Map on my Win-10 machine, it appears just about every readable installed font has accented characters. The OS seems to use and/or expect a unicode byte arrangement. It seems there is a byte translation issue. I am reasonably sure the Log4OM database is storing the characters as UTF-8 and should translate to unicode. I only know enough about this to be dangerous.

Jim
73 - Jim Plahitko - KJ9Z
Indianapolis, IN
KJ9Z
Novice Class

Post by KJ9Z »

Update

I entered a new contact with the same call sign manually. The address has accented characters imported from QRZ. The new record displays just fine in the data grid. So, the issue is with imported ADIF records from my logging software.

I currently use XMLog and the exported ADIF files appear to display just fine in Notepad. This seems to suggest the export is suitable for import. However, I am unable to guarantee the export is in UTF-8.

If XMLog doesn't export in UTF-8, does anyone have a suggestion for converting the file so the import reads it correctly?
73 - Jim Plahitko - KJ9Z
Indianapolis, IN
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

Jim,

I just did a search and found a couple sites that change the encoding to UTF-8. Might be worth looking into.

https://subtitletools.com/convert-text- ... f8-online

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/246 ... -to-utf-8

Might try a very small file and see if such would work out before diving into a 'huge' file to convert.
Plano, TX
KJ9Z
Novice Class

Post by KJ9Z »

Nolan

First, I want to thank you for responding. While it might not seem like it, your suggestions were helpful in leading me to a solution. I ran across some stack overflow pages in my search as well. Ultimately, I found I can load the ADIF from XMLog into Notepad and "Save As" from there to a UTF-8 format. That allowed me to import it into Log4OM without issue.

It's been a great ride. I learned more about SQLite than I ever expected as well as encoding. It will prove useful when I begin using Log4OM. Although ... this software has so many features i may not need to query too much directly from the database.

Again, i appreciate your assistance and maybe it will help someone else as well.

Jim
73 - Jim Plahitko - KJ9Z
Indianapolis, IN
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

Jim,

That is very good to hear. Be sure to take the time to d/l and review the "current" User Guide (Terry keeps updating it and sometimes weekly). It is searchable as well. The Quick Start Guide is available also for d/l and review.

Terry has done many YouTube Videos that step one through many elements that help provide a visual to go with what is in the U.G.

As for digging into the SQLite d/b and doing searches ... I've never done that with Log4OM V1 or V2. Lele has tried to make the search routines for many things available without having to go to that query level.

... AND ... Welcome to digging into Log4OM V2. I'm sure you will enjoy it and have a very good time as you unpeel the onion to learn more about it.
Plano, TX