Contest Mode & Band Map Combo

General discussions V2
ah6fx
Advanced Class

Contest Mode & Band Map Combo

Post by ah6fx »

Terry,

Just want to let you know the LOG4OM contest mode was fantastic during the October 2022 CQ Worldwide SSB DX contest. Everything worked perfectly as usual.

The band map is a hidden tool which I seldom use, but during the contest I used it and it proved to be a very useful tool. I opened it to the band I was working and was able to see all the stations displayed in frequency order. The little blue arrow marker moved as I tuned the band and I knew exactly where I was in regards to the band map picture. Most of all, I was able to see the band and click on stations especially wanted like rare DX or contest multipliers.

I am using the band map a lot now after the contest. Another feature I like is the red arrow marker which shows my split transmit freq in relation to everything. Naturally I can not see the bunch of calling stations because they are not reported on the cluster, but I can adjust or fine tune my split transmit freq by adjusting the Log4OM second VFO without touching my radio. Darn – sounds like someone read the owner’s manual!

Thanks for your dedicated work with Log4OM.

FYI -- Using Log4OM2 NextGen version 2.23.0.0. . Using a Dell XPS 8930 running Windows 10 Pro - version 21H1 OS build 19043.2130 - 64 bit w/Intel Core i7-9700 CPU @ 3 GHz. No other programs were running except for Mozilla and Microsoft Office.

Regards,
Danny
AH6FX/W4 – Virginia, USA
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Contest Mode & Band Map Combo

Post by G4POP »

Hi Danny,
Thanks for the information and I am pleased that you are finding the collective features useful. I also operate in a similar manner but use the CW keyer in contest mode which works great for me.

I use dual 27 inch monitors on my i7 with Win 11 because I like to have my Expert SunSDR 2 DX software on one monitor with Log4OM CW Keyer and band maps on the other.

Was reading your Bio which was very interesting and took me back to when I was in Hawaii during an around the world trip with my FT817 and some wire, great fun!

Stay safe

73 Terry
73 Terry G4POP
ah6fx
Advanced Class

Post by ah6fx »

Thanks Terry and thanks for reading my QRZ bio. COVID kept me out of the islands for two years but returned in April and going back soon when the cold weather hits the east coast of the US. The radio-sphere is very different there. We consider Europe as DX and the bands are not always open to Europe. So it is a treat to work the continent.

Roger on the two monitors. I use two monitors also to support my computer and whatever I am running. I also have third monitor which I can switch to see the screen versions of the IC-7800 or FTDX101MP. But frankly, LOG4OM is the center piece and drives much of what I do on the air.

Let me know when you return to Hawaii and I will get you in contact with a friend so you can get some air-time as a KH6.

Regards,
Danny
AH6FX/W4
ah6fx
Advanced Class

Post by ah6fx »

Terry,

One more thing ... perhaps you can put this on your to-do list. Consider making a short YouTube video on what I said above using the band map as an operating tool. Of course you want to show the non-split plus split [[ blue arrow and red arrow marker ]] functions ... plus move your split transmit freq by changing the number in the second VFO window. It would be great if you could do a live demo with you working on-the-air. Fortunately there are several DXpeditions on now so you have opportunities for the split demo.

Just a thought.