Log4OM v2 WSJT-X Multicast support?

ad8jl
Novice Class

Log4OM v2 WSJT-X Multicast support?

Post by ad8jl »

Hello!

Log4OM2 2.24.0.0 (Portable)
Windows 10 22H2 64-bit

I'm a new Log4OM v2 user. Right now, 95% of my contacts are FT8. I am using WSJT-X 2.5.4, along with several other items receiving data from it. All of the other WSJT-related tools I'm using use multicast, which makes setting them up and using them *very* convenient: none of them depend on each other, and they all get their data smoothly and directly.

Except Log4OM2. As far as I can tell, Log4OM2 does not support multicast? It seems that v1 might have -- I've seen it mentioned -- but I can't find anything in v2 that mentions multicast, and there certainly isn't a checkbox to enable it that I can find.

Is there any plans to add multicast for WSJT-X data?

The reason why this matters to me: I have several programs that I use along with WSJT-X that consume UDP data from WSJT-X. With unicast, I have to do a crazy (and fragile) chain of programs that consume UDP data and then push UDP data along to the next program in the chain. That means that I'm required to use all of the programs (or the data won't make it to the next link in the chain), and if any of them have problems, then everything after that has problems too. In addition, I've found problems with program A not connecting well with program B, and that means that the possible orders can be very limited: sometimes a not-often-needed program needs to be early in the chain -- or even worse, a not-very-reliable one.

With multicast, all of that is eliminated. They all get the data they need direct from WSJT-X, with nothing in between. They are all configured with the exact same settings (IP address and port), and it doesn't matter what other programs are running. Its really, really nice.

Thank you for your consideration. And thank you very much for Log4OM2. I'm very new to amateur radio (about 7 weeks!) and Log4OM2 is my first logging program. I'm very grateful to have such a powerful logging program to be able to use. It has greatly increased my enjoyment of FT8. I'm 3 states away from Worked All (US) States, and Log4OM (and GridTracker) have made this so much easier. I really appreciate it.
ve3wej
Old Man

Re: Log4OM v2 WSJT-X Multicast support?

Post by ve3wej »

Take a look at programs like Jtalert ( my choice) and Grid tracker. they go between wsjt and log4om very nicely and supports using the multicast from wsjt and jtalert, then jtalert sends to log4om