Log4OM Files

G4IUA
Advanced Class

Log4OM Files

Post by G4IUA »

OK. It’s silly question time. Everything is working well with Log4OM, Flex radio, JTDX, JTAlert etc. Just so I can understand better what is going on, please enlighten me by expanding on the following:
The ADIF file I understand contains all the details of QSOs (stations worked, frequency, mode, time etc).
The .json file seems to contain all the configuration details for Log4OM, but what does the database file contain then? Presumably it just draws in the data from the ADIF file and doesn't change from session to session? Something I should understand but I don’t…I’d appreciate a simplistic explanation please.

Jeff – G4IUA
N1FG
Advanced Class

Re: Log4OM Files

Post by N1FG »

Hi Jeff -

The database is the actual memory of the system - it has detailed information on each of the QSOs that you store in it. ADIF is simply a common "language" to take some, or all, of that information and allow it to be sent somewhere else. (Commonly to transfer information between Log4OM2 and, for example HRD or other logbook program.) The configuration file tells Log4OM2 where to find this memory, along with all the particulars to get your log presenting itself as you like it on the screen(s).

The database currently used (in my case MariaDB) stores dozens of fields for each QSO in the database. (Many of these fields, like "satmode" for example, will be blank (or NULL) for a particular QSO but are always available in the database.) All of the common fields like date, time, frequency, mode, callsign, etc. are filled in by the program for every QSO.

The database is *the* critical component in that, should it not be available, or even worse, deleted or corrupted in some other fashion, the entire memory (of all QSOs in that database) will be lost. That is why it is so important to back up your database files.

On the other hand, if you were to delete or corrupt the Log4OM files, or the configuration files, at the very worst case you could start fresh, download a new installation and be back on the air relatively quickly - *if* you still had access to the database files which have all the previous contacts.

Hope this makes sense.

Best 73,
Larry N1FG
G4IUA
Advanced Class

Re: Log4OM Files

Post by G4IUA »

Thanks Larry – great description and that answered a lot of my questions. There might be some more once I’ve made some changes to the configuration but in the meantime that was very helpful. Thanks again!

Jeff – G4IUA