Log4OM very slow

ka5pmv
Novice Class

Log4OM very slow

Post by ka5pmv »

I've noticed some performance issues with Log4OM. I have about 3600 contacts using SQLLite database. Double clicking on a record in the Recent QSO's section takes 8 seconds before the dialog even appears, and 2 more seconds before it's usable. The lookup is also slow, but I'm not sure if that was because of sweepstakes going on. Still, it seems very slow to open the editing dialog. While a call sign search takes about 4 seconds, I could not click in the "Contest Rcvd" field for another 3-4 seconds after results were retrieved.

I'm running Log4OM on a desktop computer with the following specs:
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6 core processor at 4+ Ghz
32gb ram
NVidia 6GB GTX 1050 video

The sqllite database is stored on a Western Digital SN750 M.2 nvme drive which is super fast, and the computer OS is on a 2nd WD Sn750 M.2 drive. I could load up MySql if you think it would speed it up, but I would think even sqllite can handle thousands, if not 10's of thousands of records.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Log4OM very slow

Post by G4POP »

What version of Log4OM and any other radio programs are you using

SQLite database is fine for up to about 130K QSO's my database is SQLite and contains 75K QSO's without issue
73 Terry G4POP
ka5pmv
Novice Class

Post by ka5pmv »

Version 2.23.0.0

Not running any other software at this time. I have run Gridtracker and W3JTX, but I actually restarted and only run Lot4OM after reboot. I had cat control enabled with my 7300, however, even with cat disconnected, it's still slow opening a record.

While I participated in the contest, I'm not a big contester, but if I was, this delay being able to get the cursor in the Contest Rcvd box would slow things down enough it would make it difficult to use for contesting.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Please update to 2.24.0.0

Please when many spots are arriving in cluster due to a contest or very busy time - reduce the flow by.....

1. Settings/Program configuration/performance
Enable cluster throttling - Perform call search on leave
Disable note award parser - realtime call sign stats

2. Filter by spotter region, band and modes etc

What CAT control are you using Hamlib or Omnirig - Version numbers please
73 Terry G4POP
ka5pmv
Novice Class

Post by ka5pmv »

Disabling the note award parser sped up the ability to get to the Contest Rcvd field.

Running omni rig, but like I said, I didn't even have it running after the reboot, didn't matter if the radio was connected or cat was started or not.

I installed 2.24.0.0 which does open up records faster. Now the dialog shows up in about 1 second and is ready 1 second later.

Looks like it's working much better now, Thanks for the update!
ka5pmv
Novice Class

Post by ka5pmv »

Ok, so that was short lived.

I made a short video showing that it takes 15 seconds to open a record to edit. Doesn't matter if performance options are enabled or not.

https://youtu.be/LC0JwiAD-CM

Any ideas?
How fast can others open a record?
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

Paul,

You should d/l and install the most current version: V 2.25.0.11 https://www.log4om.com/download/

It is labeled as beta, but is a Release Candidate.

Substantial changes have been since the release you noted as having installed on your system.
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
ka5pmv
Novice Class

Post by ka5pmv »

Thanks Nolan, I had the latest stable release 2.25.0.0

2.25.0.11 now opens up a record in 3 seconds, much faster thank you!
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

KA5PMV,
I have the same thing occur. it happens when I leave my shack computer on for days -which is my normal pattern. I believe the cause is a memory leak in the Microsoft .Net Windows workings. Try rebooting your computer when you see the lag. I am also running an AMD 6-core processor, which maybe another clue...

Let me know if that helps.

I've also noticed the same issue with other programs written in MS Visual Studio which use the .Net libraries. I wish I knew a better solution.

Doug
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
sv1day
New user

Post by sv1day »

I experienced a similar, very slow opening of Edit QSO window. It used to take more than 15 seconds (!!) to open the window. I did a restart, as Doug suggested, and it is ligthning fast now!
Thank you dear Doug!

73 de SV1DAY
Manos