Omnirig?

General discussions V2
na7c
Novice Class

Omnirig?

Post by na7c »

I am thinking of moving to Log4om from N3FJP. I like how easy N3FJP is to use but primarily I am a Mac user but I resigned myself to using Windows in the shack. Log4om comes highly regarded and I want to read my log from my Mac. SQLite3 makes that very easy. I actually purchased Ham Radio Deluxe when I heard they were moving to SQLite3, but here it is almost 18 months later and I am still waiting. Log4om has that feature today. By the way, I asked N3FJP years ago if they would consider migrating to SQLite3 and they declined.

I am an avid SKCC and POTA chaser, and none of the logging programs will read the SKCC membership file and populate my log with information. So I am stuck using SKCCLogger and my plan is to actually write a simple entry program and find a way to automatically import my QSOs as I enter them into Log4om. I found that Log4om supports a UDP-based API, and that's how I plan to interface to Log4om.

My question is about Omnirig. I would like to query the rig for frequency and mode. This means my simple logging capture program needs to talk to the rig. If I used Omnirig, Log4om and my capture program can run concurrently. My research reveals that Omnirig V2 is actually a different product from a different developer and not that many other software vendors are supporting V2. By the way, has the Log4om team ever considered exposing the rig info in the UDP API?

May I ask why Log4om has not embraced Omnirig V2? I saw a post from G4POP in 2018 that said the creator of V2 was unresponsive to email requests for information. Is this the main reason? I notice that V1 is open source, and V2 is not. Could this be part of the reason?

KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Omnirig?

Post by KI5IO »

na7c wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 19:27
May I ask why Log4om has not embraced Omnirig V2? I saw a post from G4POP in 2018 that said the creator of V2 was unresponsive to email requests for information. Is this the main reason? I notice that V1 is open source, and V2 is not. Could this be part of the reason?

Ted,

The developer of the V2 of Omnirig will not work with Lele and Terry to develop repairs needed to have his version work properly.

Thus we do not recommend nor support V2 of Omnirig.

We only support Alex's V1 (the original) Omnirig as well as Hamlib.
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX