QSO Start Time Lock

N1FG
Advanced Class

QSO Start Time Lock

Post by N1FG »

Hi -

First off, I have now been using Log4OM (currently v2.25.0) for over a year, exclusively as a CW operator, after transitioning from HRD.

One of the features of Log4OM2 that still trips me up, as a "Search and Pounce" (S&P) operator is the QSO start time. I only lock the QSO start time is when I actually start the QSO - not when I search for a callsign as at that point I am just getting the particulars and turning the antenna if necessary. Once the QSO has started I will lock the time and then carry on as usual. At the end I generally use the Enter key to log the contact - and at this point all is well with one exception - the callsign field is blank, the last QSO is in the log, but the QSO start time is *still* locked - and the little red lock indicator isn't enough for my mind (and others it seems) to remind me to unlock the time before I put another call in the entry box. (Or unlock and relock as it frequently occurs.)

I have seen some of the reasoning that Terry G4POP describes (to another posting on this issue) which brings up the point of entering multiple historic QSOs and needing the time to be locked for that case. Assuming that is a compelling use case I would like to propose changing the the background color of the QSO start time window to red (or other high contrast color) when the time has been locked. (Similar to the attached screenshot.)
Log4OM2_QSOtime.jpg
Log4OM2_QSOtime.jpg (177.61 KiB) Viewed 981 times
I think this would be impossible to ignore when typing a new callsign into the field.

Thanks for all the great work on Log4OM2 and I hope Lele and all the support team have a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year upcoming.

Larry N1FG