Cluster filter for DX Marathon

WR0H
Advanced Class

Cluster filter for DX Marathon

Post by WR0H »

Being it's January 1 there is worldwide interest in the CQ DX Marathon competition, which is how many countries + CQ zones can you work during the calendar year.

Since the contest resets every Jan 1, QSOs prior to January 1st are irrelevant. Is there a way in Log4OM to create a cluster alert for spots of "countries needed" this year only?
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Cluster filter for DX Marathon

Post by G4POP »

Three ways to accomplish this are:

1. We hard code the program to do so, which is a fairly large job and would go on our waiting list!

2. You use the contest facility which once the start and end dates are set will only consider stations worked in the period set as worked before.

3. You start a new database for this year and switch to it using file/new/open database when working marathon.

I would think option 3 is probably the easiest to use, but let me know your thoughts
73 Terry G4POP
WR0H
Advanced Class

Post by WR0H »

You're correct about option 3 being the easiest, and it does exactly what I need. The only drawback is deciding whether I want to have a new database every year. The jury is still out on that.

I wanted to try option 2 but I couldn't get it to work--I edited the contest.csv file with the resource editor but no contests of any type are listed in the contest settings dropdown.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Think you missed the thread about a contest list issue and the new file I provided, please search this forum for 'Contest'
73 Terry G4POP
WR0H
Advanced Class

Post by WR0H »

G4POP wrote: 02 Jan 2023, 16:20 Think you missed the thread about a contest list issue and the new file I provided, please search this forum for 'Contest'
Yes I did and thank you for putting me on the right track. I created a "Marathon" entry in contest.csv and I can get to it from Contest Settings. When a spot comes in I can click on it and the F1 Info panel shows "New One", which I would expect.

However, while the F1 Info Panel recognizes the station is a New One, the cluster does not. I have "Country Not Worked" set up in Configuration/Software Configuration/Cluster for a bright red background, but that doesn't appear in the cluster. Naturally I would want the cluster spot to announce that it's a new country.

Is this normal, or is there still something I need to check?
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Yes looks like we changed something when we removed the separate contest window, we will check this out when we have time
73 Terry G4POP
WR0H
Advanced Class

Post by WR0H »

Very good. Thank you for your help on this.
VK3AWG
Advanced Class

Post by VK3AWG »

WR0H wrote: 03 Jan 2023, 13:23 Very good. Thank you for your help on this.
For information I have been running two instances of LOG4OM for this reason. On my "radio" pc I run the main version of LOG4OM which is connected to my radios and it shows my full log and the cluster shows ATNO's. On a second pc I run another version of LOG4OM with a database called 2023 Marathon. The Marathon version only knows what I have worked for the current year and therefore shows new ones for the year on the cluster. This is a bit of a work around but it works for me. Ultimately it would be great to be able to run one instance with multiple colours on the cluster. Red could be ATNO and maybe blue Marathon.

Regards
Chris
VK3IK/VK3AWG
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

What you're asking is a filter in the cluster to "mimic" the statistics filtered in the time range of the contest, when contest mode is active.
That's not quite easy, as cluster is a widely used component through the application, but i've understood your request...

i'll check what i can do on that side
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
WR0H
Advanced Class

Post by WR0H »

Thank you!