Sharing QSOs into LOG4OM2 from Ham Radio Deluxe

4z1tl
Novice Class

Sharing QSOs into LOG4OM2 from Ham Radio Deluxe

Post by 4z1tl »

Hello Gurus
I experiment with dual-logging from JTDX to both HRD & LOG4OM and ran into a situation not clear enough to blame LOG4OM or HRD.
(I have put this same question on HRD forum).

HRD shares its logged QSOs via its "QSO Forwarding" feature, on a dedicated port, and LOG4OM's is set to receive that "N1MM-like" message from HRD on that specific port. (Connections tab).

Now that seems to work as for every "save log" done in JTDX ("log qso") both HRD & LOG4OM2 indeed log the QSO. BUT:
  • In LOG4OM2 the "Freq" and "Rx-Freq" fields are 10 times higher, the "GRID" is only 4 digits where it should have been 6, and the operator-name is something else than in JTDX.
  • In HRD the details are exactly as present in JTDX.
It seems either HRD generates a bad N1MM-like UDP message, or LOG4OM2 doesn't handle N1MM-like messages as it should.

Any ideas pse?
TIA Isaac
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Sharing QSOs into LOG4OM2 from Ham Radio Deluxe

Post by G4POP »

Did you ask JTDX?
73 Terry G4POP
4z1tl
Novice Class

Post by 4z1tl »

Hi,

I Did not ask JTDX because:
  • HRD logs exactly as it is in JTDX, via JTALERT. FWIW I checked the "lastqso.adi" file of JTALERT & it's 100% OK.
  • I have another setup similar to this one but with NO HRD in it, that works well into LOG4OM2. (other UDP message-types & definitions of course where applicable)
So it is either LOG4OM in handling N1MM-type message or HRD in producing & forwarding such an N1MM-type message.
Is there somewhere in LOG4OM a log for the incoming UDP messages?

Isaac
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

I thought that the JTAlert Log4OM logging was direct to sql and the one via WSJT was by UDP but in ADIF format? not N1MM
73 Terry G4POP
4z1tl
Novice Class

Post by 4z1tl »

I am not so sure I understand your comment about JTALERT as I am not that familiar with it.
In my "working-well" JTDX+JTALERT+LOG4OM2 setup, ADIF-type message is the one LOG4OM2 monitors from JTALERT.

In my other setup (JTDX+HRD+JTALERT+LOG4OM) LOG4OM2 can receive an N1MM type inbound UDP message & HRD transmits only this type.
Hence the different approach.

But now I think that the entire issue is with HRD as I found some comments in the HRD forums regarding known forwarding errors such as mine in HRD.

Important Update:
Using "Wireshark" software to monitor the TCP UDP traffic I verified that the UDP message from HRD (with the XML data) is sent as described 100% OK.
Now FWIW, this is in "N1MM"-like format and not in "N1MM+"-like format. (I ponder if there is a difference).
Perhaps LOG4OM2 is having trouble doing what it should with that particular version of the message?

4z1tl
Novice Class

Post by 4z1tl »

Hello,

Yesterday I received a formal confirmation from HRD's support that QSO FORWARDING to N1MM doesn't work.
Since the forwarding mechanism to LOG4OM2 is the same (N1MM-like UDP message), I can only guess it also will not work well (if at all).

Unfortunately until HRD & LOG4OM guys talk to each other, this will not change for the better.

I am done with this.
Thank you all for the input

Isaac, 4Z1TL