Cluster out of band frequency highlite

KR8T
Novice Class

Cluster out of band frequency highlite

Post by KR8T »

On the cluster window, can we have a highlite color for the frequency column if the frequency is out of band for the user's country or license class? I'm sure there are a lot of hams that have clicked on a spot and made a contact, only to find they were out of band. Perhaps a band table in the settings to control this?
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Cluster out of band frequency highlite

Post by KI5IO »

KR8T wrote: 07 Jun 2023, 22:25 On the cluster window, can we have a highlite color for the frequency column if the frequency is out of band for the user's country or license class? I'm sure there are a lot of hams that have clicked on a spot and made a contact, only to find they were out of band. Perhaps a band table in the settings to control this?
Rick,

Log4OM provides an out of band alert next to the Band Field in the Main UI. See image below.

I just entered 13995 on the 20m to get the alert to pop up.

Alerts will be based upon the band plans provided with Log4OM Involves Regions 1,2 & 3 as well as dxcc291 which is for us in NA/USA.

Attachments
OutOfBandAlert.JPG
OutOfBandAlert.JPG (66.32 KiB) Viewed 1078 times
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
KR8T
Novice Class

Post by KR8T »

Thanks for pointing this out, however, it doesn't help someone in the US with a General class license if the spot is in the advance or extra portion of the band. I think if it was flagged in the cluster, it would help. I think a lot of users double click on a spot and go, not checking for a warning. The user could enter band limits for their class.
DF5WW
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by DF5WW »

How should that be possible ? The "Out of Band" warnings are realised by the IARU region bandplans. In some countries of
the world we have different license classes with different band potions. I don´t think that this can be relized. That must
have a check for Prefixes which are in the license classes x,y or z and that will bring each logger to the borders of memory
usuage .... Sorry, but this is a wish for guys which don´t know it´s own license restrictions.
73´s .. Juergen ... ALT-512 SDR (10W) , 50 m random wire at SG-211 autotuner, 2 x Xiegu G90 (20W HF TRX) one as portable Radio. Also TS-790E (40 W) for VHF/UHF with X-50 vertical and Duoband 4-Element LPDA.
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

KR8T wrote: 08 Jun 2023, 12:13 Thanks for pointing this out, however, it doesn't help someone in the US with a General class license if the spot is in the advance or extra portion of the band. I think if it was flagged in the cluster, it would help. I think a lot of users double click on a spot and go, not checking for a warning. The user could enter band limits for their class.
Rick,

I was going to modify the bandplan_dxcc291.xml file for your use making the assumption that you had only a General Class license issued by the FCC.

Then I looked your profile up in QRZ and noted you have an Extra Class license which gives you full access to the available bands here in the USA.

I don't see any need for such a modified file your your use, so I'm not going to pursue that at this time.

As for your request as well as taking note of Juergen's comments noting which bands any licensed operator is working on it is up to that operator to be aware of his/her limitations with respect to their license.

With Log4OM we can't just focus on such a fine-tuning of the program for the sake of one operator in the USA realm. Log4OM is written to cover Ham Operators on a world-wide basis. Consider for a moment have such fine-tuning programming for the FCC licensed operators ... then add to that the licensed operators in Australia, Canada, Russia, Italy, England, Norway, etc., etc.. That is programming that would be close to impossible to manager.

So ... with what I posted above about the 'out of band' alert icon that is what is currently available in the program. Juergen's comments about the OM being aware of their license class limitations is also very important.

From comments we've had (dur to your feature request) on our internal communications channel I don't see that request hitting the future list unless there were would a massive list of the same request from operators across the USA and in the other countries that are affected by class of license band limitations.
Plano, TX
W1BKW
Novice Class

Post by W1BKW »

I set filters on the cluster server so it only passes General class frequencies to L4OM. Problem solved.
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

W1BKW wrote: 09 Jun 2023, 11:03 I set filters on the cluster server so it only passes General class frequencies to L4OM. Problem solved.
Brian,

Yet another very good option/solution. Also trims cluster spot flow into Log4OM to help manage overall operation of the program.

I do similar and have many SSIDs set for various bands and a focus of only getting CW spots.

The cluster filters (in my case I use CC-User) are one of the best ways to contain that spot flow.
Plano, TX
KR8T
Novice Class

Post by KR8T »

I wasn't expecting further customization for each country in the world. If there was a user table to enter band/mode frequency ranges, and then a check box in the Filters/Misc to enable or disable it, this would accomplish what I was looking for.
Example: If I select 40m and Phone in the Filters, I still show calls on 7085, 7110, and 7115. These are all out of the phone portion for the US. I often hear US stations trying to contact Canadian stations between 7100 and 7125. I think most of these mistakes are started by selecting them on a cluster, especially during a contest.
If I'm the only one that sees value in this, go ahead and disregard my request.
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

KR8T wrote: 11 Jun 2023, 19:31 I wasn't expecting further customization for each country in the world. If there was a user table to enter band/mode frequency ranges, and then a check box in the Filters/Misc to enable or disable it, this would accomplish what I was looking for.
Example: If I select 40m and Phone in the Filters, I still show calls on 7085, 7110, and 7115. These are all out of the phone portion for the US. I often hear US stations trying to contact Canadian stations between 7100 and 7125. I think most of these mistakes are started by selecting them on a cluster, especially during a contest.
If I'm the only one that sees value in this, go ahead and disregard my request.
Rick,

Your request is not being disregarded as we do review and consider all items submitted for improvement of Log4OM.

As I've noted already we have to look at the overall impact to the operation of Log4OM - IE: Will more filtering and lookups cause additional strain on the APP and slow it down?

Also how would such a feature be received or even utilized by OMs all around the world? Log4OM isn't built just for USA Hams. It is used worldwide and we also have to pay attention to band limitations for OMs in their respective countries as well.

A lot of things to weigh and consider.

And ... more importantly ... thank you for your consideration of such and providing the information for a possible feature enhancement.
Plano, TX