Run as Administrator

General discussions V2
EI5KI
Novice Class

Run as Administrator

Post by EI5KI »

I am a very new newbie to Log4OM and computer connected amateur radio in general. When I installed Log4OM (v2) I didn't install it to 'run as administrator'. If I try to change the .exe files property to do that I get a Windows permission message (Do you want to allow this application to make changes to your computer) when I run the program. I am the administrator of the pc concerned (which runs Windows 10 pro), in fact the only account on it.

Should I leave well alone, reinstall Log4OM, or what do I need to do?

Paul EI5KI
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Run as Administrator

Post by KI5IO »

Paul,

The warnings are coming from the UAC within the Windows O/S.

Personally I never run my Log4OM V2 installation with Admin Levels. Even when I do run the FTxx modes (WSJTx, JTAlert, Log4OM and my K3. I have a routine that works FB for me and never have to run in Admin Levels.

I'm aware that such is noted in the Log4OM User Guide and maybe for some OMs installation that is required, but I've found it to not be necessary in my installation/use.

I don't like to run any APPs with Admin Levels if I can avoid it.

I also keep my Windows O/S UAC level alerts very low. I don't like getting those flags.

Also ... did you let the Log4OM installation program load/install in the default directories is creates and selects during the installation? Or ... did you create other directories, etc.?

Hopefully you let Log4OM do it's own thing during the installation. If not many issues can be created and hard to unwind from.
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
EI5KI
Novice Class

Post by EI5KI »

Hi Nolan,
Thanks for your reply. I let Log4OM do its own thing and install itself where it thought best. I'm a but confused as to why Windows throws up the UAC dialogues when I try to set the program as 'run as administrator'. At the moment I'm only using Log4OM and Omnirig to talk to my K3. I am hoping I might dabble in WSJT and so I'm concerned that I might need to set 'run as administrator' as the default then.

Currently I can use the set up just fine (well except clicking on spots puts the rig into rev cw, but I think there is a fix for that).

Paul EI5KI
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

Paul,

Below is a clip of my current settings. I'm not suggesting any/all others run at this setting, but just what I have chosen to do.
Attachments
ki5o-uac.JPG
ki5o-uac.JPG (47.92 KiB) Viewed 829 times
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
EI5KI
Novice Class

Post by EI5KI »

Thanks Nolan. This implies that the UAC pop up would be general to everyone using Log4OM in administrator unless they are suppressed.

73, Paul