Palstar HF-AUTO

N8HO
Novice Class

Palstar HF-AUTO

Post by N8HO »

I would like to use Terry G. Glagowski's, W1TR, software in conjunction with Log4OM2 so that my HF-AUTO antenna tuner follows the frequency of my transceiver. I do this with my Alpha-9500 and really appreciate the convenience.

Here is an email exchange I had with Terry.

Howard,
HFAUTO is not directly compatible with LOG4OM… because… LOG4OM does not have the capability of broadcasting UDP packets with the TX VFO information in it.
You can SIMULTANEOUSLY run N1MM+ and LOG4OM and let N1MM+ do the job of providing TX VFO information for CAT CTRL, I do that here myself sometimes.

This is assuming you want to use the CAT CTRL feature in HFAUTO, which is not mandatory, but is the main reason for using HFAUTO in the first place.

I hope this answers your question…
Terry W1TR

Thanks to the group for offering guidance.

Howard N8HO
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Palstar HF-AUTO

Post by KI5IO »

... Moved to the Feature Suggestions portion of the Forum.
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KD0ZV »

I dont understand your desire for doing this. Why does the logging program even need to be involved.

I have a HF-AUTO and have used the W1TR program in the past.

Sorry if I am missing something but why does Log4OM need to be involved with this.

Rich
Rich
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team
N8HO
Novice Class

Post by N8HO »

Thanks for your response Rich. When you used the W1TR program with your HF-AUTO, how did you physically connect the HF-AUTO to your computer. USB to RS=232 cable? I believe I read that a special RS-232 cable is needed. I found a USB to RS-232 cable in my junk box. When I hook it up an ATEN USB to Serial Bridge (COM6) appears in my Device Manager screen. When I select COM6 in the W1TR program screen I get a Port COM6 – Access to the port ‘COM6’ is denied.

Howard N8HO
N8HO
Novice Class

Post by N8HO »

One more thing, my HF-AUTO is running version 2.36.

Howard N8HO
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KD0ZV »

N8HO wrote: 25 Jul 2023, 14:06 Thanks for your response Rich. When you used the W1TR program with your HF-AUTO, how did you physically connect the HF-AUTO to your computer. USB to RS=232 cable? I believe I read that a special RS-232 cable is needed. I found a USB to RS-232 cable in my junk box. When I hook it up an ATEN USB to Serial Bridge (COM6) appears in my Device Manager screen. When I select COM6 in the W1TR program screen I get a Port COM6 – Access to the port ‘COM6’ is denied.

Howard N8HO
Yes, I just used a serial to USB cable. But I found that not all would work.

This is what I ended up with.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0086 ... UTF8&psc=1
Rich
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team
N8HO
Novice Class

Post by N8HO »

The cable I tried was an IOGEAR - GUC232A - USB to Serial Adapter. I ordered the StarTech cable you suggested and will let you know how it works.

Thanks and 73,
Howard N8HO
N8HO
Novice Class

Post by N8HO »

Hello Rich,

I ordered the cable you recommended, but it will not connect to my HF-AUTO antenna tuner because it has a female DB9 end. My HF-Auto has a female DB9 connector on the back. Did you also use a male-to-male DB9 adaptor with this cable?

Howard N8HO
N8HO
Novice Class

Post by N8HO »

Rich,

Is this the adaptor I need between the cable and tuner? Thanks for your help. I appreciate it!

https://www.amazon.com/Null-Modem-Adapt ... 715&sr=8-6

Howard N8HO
N8HO
Novice Class

Post by N8HO »

For anyone wishing to use W1TR software with the Palstar HF-AUTO tuner, here is the cable I used. Some cables, not having the FTDI chipset, may not work.

Sabrent model CB-FTDI USB 2.0 to serial cable.

I purchased mine from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006AA04K0?ps ... ct_details

Howard N8HO