Using Comments and Notes

General discussions V2
NZ5Y
Novice Class

Using Comments and Notes

Post by NZ5Y »

Just curious how people are using comments and notes. I've been using comments for things like names or interesting facts about a contact. I also use comments to help track things like special event stations or lighthouse stations, etc. I really haven't used notes for anything. How is everybody else doing this?
N6VH
Old Man

Re: Using Comments and Notes

Post by N6VH »

One thing I find useful about "Comment" is when I work a POTA. In the Comment field I put POTA and the POTA number (POTA K-8133, for example). Log4OM then automatically puts this into the "Award Refs." without my having to edit that particular QSO. If I don't know the POTA number, I just put "POTA" there, and fill it in when the QSO shows up on the POTA website. There might be other similar uses.

I haven't used the "Notes" field.

Jim N6VH
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

From the ADIF standard fields list

COMMENT String comment field for QSO

recommended use: information of interest to the contacted station's operator

and

NOTES MultilineString QSO notes

recommended use: information of interest to the logging station's operator

The comments field contents are sometimes sent to the other station as part of a confirmation wheras the Notes fiel is private to the local station and not circulated.

So dont write "This guy is an idiot" in the comments field as he may at sometime see what you wrote, if you want to make comments like that use the Notes field
73 Terry G4POP
NZ5Y
Novice Class

Post by NZ5Y »

Thanks Jim and Terry. Just what I needed to know.

Steve NZ5Y