POTA contacts

General discussions V2
no4d
Novice Class

POTA contacts

Post by no4d »

I’m using the POTA Extension to log to Log4OM. None of these contacts show up in the Log4OM stats. What do I need to do to make that happen? All show up in the log, just not in the stats.

Ken/NO4D
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: POTA contacts

Post by G4POP »

Page 37 of our user guide describes how to record a QSO as an award reference this includes POTA and SOTA etc
73 Terry G4POP
no4d
Novice Class

Post by no4d »

Thanks! I missed that.
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

no4d wrote: 04 Sep 2023, 16:27 I’m using the POTA Extension to log to Log4OM. None of these contacts show up in the Log4OM stats. What do I need to do to make that happen? All show up in the log, just not in the stats.

Ken/NO4D
Ken,

Are you calling the Awards Tab (F3) the POTA Extension? Or is that some external APP?

When I log Q's working POTA I tap the Awards Tab (F3), select POTA, then key in the POTA site. It then gets saved with the QSO and thus also ends up in the Awards Stats.

Often if the POTA or SOTA site ID is visible in the "Notes" field Log4OM will pick it up and also save it with the QSO and add it to the Awards section.

As well as what Terry noted for information in the User Guide.
Attachments
pota-stats.JPG
pota-stats.JPG (81.16 KiB) Viewed 1436 times
pota-dropdown.JPG
pota-dropdown.JPG (90.16 KiB) Viewed 1436 times
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
no4d
Novice Class

Post by no4d »

It is an external app that adds more functionality to the standard online POTA app. It auto adds the contact to Log4OM. It seems since it writes directly to the log file Log4OM doesn’t recognize it being there for stats. I hope this makes sense.
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

no4d wrote: 04 Sep 2023, 16:58 It is an external app that adds more functionality to the standard online POTA app. It auto adds the contact to Log4OM. It seems since it writes directly to the log file Log4OM doesn’t recognize it being there for stats. I hope this makes sense.
Ken,

I was looking at the APPs website and it appears it routes the data into Log4OM via a UDP Inbound Connection.

The "Edit QSO" image they show from Log4OM it appears that they put the POTA data in the 'Comment' field.

Log4OM should be picking up the noted POTA ID and adding it to the log with stats.

Do you have POTA, SOTA, etc. enabled as an "Active" award at: Settings / Configuration / Award preferences ?

If you do you should see POTA as an option in the dropdown on the Main UI at: Awards (F3). Assuming you have a callsign entered in the Main UI first.

I would do a test and bring in 2 or 3 POTA QSOs and save them in Log4OM and then open each to see if the POTA site ID in the Comments field was properly placed so that it can be added to the Award Stats.
Plano, TX
no4d
Novice Class

Post by no4d »

It works fine if I add a call sign manually or if I click on a spot. My issue is that the POTA extension adds the contact info directly to the log without the call sign being put into the call sign field. It seems that Log4OM does not read the log file in order to have the stats updated. If it does I’ve overlooked it.
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

no4d wrote: 04 Sep 2023, 22:02 It works fine if I add a call sign manually or if I click on a spot. My issue is that the POTA extension adds the contact info directly to the log without the call sign being put into the call sign field. It seems that Log4OM does not read the log file in order to have the stats updated. If it does I’ve overlooked it.
Ken,

Try to rescan and see if that will bring up the QSOs brought in by the 3rd party APP.

Go to: Award Status / POTA / Maintenance ... then tap the "rescan award references"

It will take a small bit of time and 'might' be able to pick up the references on the QSOs that are imported.
Plano, TX
no4d
Novice Class

Post by no4d »

Thanks for the help. I think I am on right path now.

Ken/NO4D
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

If the developer of the APP fails to contact us for assistance to integrate his software you can hardly blame Log4OM if the other developer guesses what and how to send the data via UDP :-)
73 Terry G4POP