Backup Exception

V2 error reports
N0GJR
Novice Class

Backup Exception

Post by N0GJR »

In an attempt to get with the times, I'm attempting to upgrade from Log4om2 v2.25.0.0 to latest GA 2.30.01. Step 1 on my part is to do a Backup. When I select File -> Execute Backup, I see "Backup Error. Check Log." Viewing the log file, either historic or real-time, shows "[EXCEPTION] The process cannot access the file '...\backup\NOGJR_20231130_191831_backup.adi" because it is being used by another process. Backup process terminated.". I do see an appropriately sized backup.adi file created in the backup directory however I don't see an associated .json file created in the Historic subfolder. This is on an HP Envy, I7 processor, 16 gig RAM, Windows 10 Pro.

Images of the Log with directory contents attached. I've spent quite a bit of time searching the forums and manual. I've also tried using the Windows Resource Utility to identify what other process may be locking but it looks like its just Log4OM2. I've rebooted and inhibited any associated programs such as WSJT-X, but still same backup failure notification. Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

73 - Gary/N0GJR
Attachments
Log4om capture 2.PNG
Log4om capture 2.PNG (84.93 KiB) Viewed 8796 times
Log4om capture 1.PNG
Log4om capture 1.PNG (107.59 KiB) Viewed 8796 times
N0GJR
Novice Class

Re: Backup Exception

Post by N0GJR »

Did I mistakenly post this to the wrong Forum heading? I would like to proceed with my upgrade but hesitate to do so without a safety net. Anyone?

N0GJR
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

Gary,

Do you have just one backup location noted at: Settings/ Configuration / Backup ???

Or do you have two locations noted for backups?

If you have two locations noted for backups where are they located on your computer? Or is one going to a cloud-drive and if so which one?

I have two backup locations in my installation. One is located in a folder I have created under the Windows "Documents" folder. The other is located on a Dropbox folder.

Using the MS Onedrive is NOT recommended.

In blowing up your images provided it appears you did not specify locations for the backups and with the number of adi and json files you did not set up a file-rotation so you have a huge number of files. They are all first in / first out type ... so the latest files are the most current.

What I recommend you do is to change your main backup folder location to one under the "Documents" portion of your computer. Set the backup rotation to 5. Do NOT select a "zip" type backup. This will then keep your backups as 'adi' and 'json' files.

Once you create that new backup folder location then perform a backup routine and see what response you get.

Note my backup settings in the image below.
Attachments
ki5io_backup.png
ki5io_backup.png (64.4 KiB) Viewed 8728 times
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

N0GJR wrote: 01 Dec 2023, 23:46 Did I mistakenly post this to the wrong Forum heading? I would like to proceed with my upgrade but hesitate to do so without a safety net. Anyone?

N0GJR
Probably a Windows permissions issue, although it seems that backups on shutdown are being saved

Have you tried a staightforward ADIF export from the file menu to a different location? Thats all you really need as you already have many json files to resort to and they dont change too much.

Working perfectly for me on both a portable and an installed version, see below:

2023-12-02 08:55:27.5926 INFO: [BackupManagement] : Starting backup process
2023-12-02 08:55:28.5827 INFO: [BackupManagement] : Backup folder is set to C:\Users\g4pop\AppData\Roaming\Log4OM2\backup\
2023-12-02 08:55:28.5827 INFO: [BackupManagement] : Backup monthly folder is set to C:\Users\g4pop\AppData\Roaming\Log4OM2\backup\Historic\
2023-12-02 08:55:30.6212 INFO: [BackupManagement] : Backup copied to : C:\Users\g4pop\AppData\Roaming\Log4OM2\backup\Historic\G4POP_Dec23_config.json with file size of 64520 bytes
2023-12-02 08:55:30.6212 INFO: * [BackupManagement][3028 ms] : Backup process terminated

This however is saving a zipped SQLIte file because I am using latest release
73 Terry G4POP
N0GJR
Novice Class

Post by N0GJR »

Terry -

Thank you very much for your thorough response! I am currently doing "Dad" duties, helping daughter move but will follow your example once I get back in the shack. Your response of 12/02 was the perfect birthday present for this OM; just hit the big "69".

Cheers - Gary (N0GJR)
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

N0GJR wrote: 03 Dec 2023, 13:11 Terry -

Thank you very much for your thorough response! I am currently doing "Dad" duties, helping daughter move but will follow your example once I get back in the shack. Your response of 12/02 was the perfect birthday present for this OM; just hit the big "69".

Cheers - Gary (N0GJR)
Happy birthday, wait till your get to my age (83) then you will really celebrate each new one reached :) :) :) :)
73 Terry G4POP