Multicast from JTDX

General discussions V2
F6EXV
Old Man

Multicast from JTDX

Post by F6EXV »

hello all
I am paranoid about loosing logs, so I am trying to log to 2 different logging programs simultaneously, namely Log4om and Logger32.
When using JTDX, I want to log to the 2 programs.
I understand I should use multi cast .
But no idea what that is, except it is in the range of 224.0.0.1 etc. I suppose this must be set in JTDX, but primary or secondary UDP ?

What should the incoming UDP be in Log4OM ?

Thanks + 73
Paul F6EXV
Thanks + 73
Paul F6EXV
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Multicast from JTDX

Post by G4POP »

You must understand that once UDP data is received by one program its not any longer available to any other program. Analagy: I drop a 100 euro bank note in a supermarked and someone picks it up - Now its not there for any other passer by to find!

I suggest that you follow our user guide for UDP set up then follow the Logger 32 set up for your second connection being especially carefull NOT to use the same UDP port number.

However just why you think you need this belt and braces approach to securing your log data eludes me when in Log4om you have the following files being saved, if you set up your backups wisely.

1. The actual SQLite log file, presumably saved to your hard drive but could be stored on Google drive of Dropbox - NOT ONE_DRIVE
2. First backup of an additional SQLite file to a destination of your choice (I use Google Drive)
3. Secondary ADIF backup to a further destination of your choice (Perhaps another drive or alternative on line storeage - Please dont use a USB stick)
4. Even if you failed to set your backups we automatically save an additional backup in the 'Historic' folder

So you would have to lose four different data files to lose your data and even if your PC got stollen you would still have the online database (Google Drive, Dropbox) to resort to.
73 Terry G4POP
ve3wej
Old Man

Re: Multicast from JTDX

Post by ve3wej »

not the best solution, but it may work for you. I use gridtracker to catch the multicast, as well as log4om. but then gridtracker sends to my laptop to n3fjp on a laptop, as well as another GT and ham radio deluxe...

gives me several logs. but I also make sure I do a backup to google drive ( or you could have dropbox or onedrive or any cloud you prefer )

multicast will work for you IF the other logging program is supported by gridtracker or the multicast option

I only do this because I was asked if it could be done. I dont need it this way