UTC Clock Enhancement Suggestion

KO1Z
New user

UTC Clock Enhancement Suggestion

Post by KO1Z »

This is my first post to the forum. First off - a huge thanks to the LOG4OM development team. I have been using this software for over a year and I am super impressed. My Ham Radio Deluxe software is now a distant memory.

The current implementation of the UTC Clock (Utilities menu) is somewhat cumbersome, especially when trying to find a position on a screen crammed with multiple LOG4OM windows (see bottom right of this screenshot: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ra4LUqv1SF5W4xLj7 ). I also think that the inclusion of a UTC clock is vital to assess the age of current cluster spots, so I would appreciate any option that better integrates this feature.

Here are a couple of options to consider:

1) Add current UTC time to the bottom of the existing World Map (main display window), similar to the way it is included in the "View World Clock" window.

2) Integrate the current UTC time into the Sunrise/Sunset status bar of the existing World Map (main display window). With elimination of Sunrise/Sunset "seconds" and an extra UTC label it could work as follows:
UTC: Sunrise 02:23 Current: 08:35:15 Sunset: 12:14

My recommendation is option 2) but I'd be interested to know what others think.

Thanks for any consideration.

Rob - KO1Z
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: UTC Clock Enhancement Suggestion

Post by G4POP »

I would think that displaying the local time of the station who's call is entered in the input window would be of more use?

However I also agree it would be good to show the sun rise and sunset times in the world map.

Having multiple displays allows me to use Simons excellent world map :D :D :D :D :D

Untitled new.png
Untitled new.png (155.5 KiB) Viewed 3206 times
73 Terry G4POP
KO1Z
New user

Re: UTC Clock Enhancement Suggestion

Post by KO1Z »

G4POP,

Yes, having a new column to display the local time of the current spot (instead of UTC) within the cluster window is another good option. That would let users compare easily with their PC clock to know the current spot age.

Also to clarify - the Sunrise/Sunset times are already displayed in the Main F6 map window. I am suggesting that the current UTC time be added to that status bar. This could be accomplished with font size changes and elimination of the "seconds" from sunrise/sunset.

Thanks!