Fldigi & JT65-HF integration - nice!

Regarding connecting to external program's.
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Fldigi & JT65-HF integration - nice!

Post by NN7D »

I would like to compliment the Log4OM team on two things. First, how well Log4OM integrates with Fldigi and JT65-HF/JT-Alert. And secondly, how well that implementation has been documented in the wonderful manual which Terry and others have written. I was able in short order to get both software packages working well with Log4OM. How often does that happen!? And it does not happen by chance! Lots of work and thought went in to that integration. My thanks!

I have especially been enjoying JT65-HF and JT-Alert. Several nights ago I worked a S. African station with 20 watts from Washington State. Amazing.

I do have a couple of questions regarding the integration of JT65-HF and Log4OM, maybe more seeking advice than a request.
#1. When double clicking on a CQ Call on JT, is there any way for that call sign to be passed on to Log4OM, for info lookup including Short Path, Long Path and name prior to completing and logging the contract?

#2. When logging a qso in JT, that qso is transfered to JT-Alert, then on to Log4Om seamlessly. Very cool. But the call is logged as a JT65A mode. When I download verified QSO's from LotW from within Log4OM, I get errors on many JT65 contacts which says the QSO can't be found. If I change those qso's mode in Log4OM from JT65A mode to JT65 mode, then download again, no error and the qso's are matched up. Is there a way to have JT Alert log the contacts as JT65?

#3. What is the general thought (Terry?) on which flavor of JT65-HF to use? The original, the Comfort derivative, or the HB9HQX edition?

<some time later>
I have spent the last two days with the HB9HQX edition of the JT65-HF software and I really it. It seems to decode more signals with less fussing of the incoming audio gain than either the original HF version, but especially the Comfort version. It also connects to my rig with OmniRig, and with the HB9HQX version of JT-Alert it auto logs to Log4OM. Also, HB9HQX edition somewhat addresses my question #1 above, in that when you double click on a decoded call, the software displays the short path bearing to the station, based on the grid location embedded in the call. The software also keeps a separate log, and displays calls from previously worked station and band in RED. It displays previously worked stations, but different band in Yellow, and has notations for new countries and grids, similar in effect to JT alert.

Anyway, I would still like to hear other's thoughts on the different flavors of JT65-HF.

Thanks for a great product in Log4OM!

Doug
W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
DF5WW
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Fldigi & JT65-HF integration - nice!

Post by DF5WW »

Hi Doug,

for JT65/JT9 i use WSJT-X from K1JT togehther with JT-AlertX. That software logs correctly (JT65 and JT9 without extensions). LotW is using only JT65/JT9 and if you have JT65A ot JT9-1 in the log i would´t be confirmed. To change older JT65A enties go to the QSO Manager, then check "Enable updates", in "Search Parameters" you select Mode and let serch for MODE equals JT65A .... Now you mark all QSO and go to "Field Update". Select Mode and write JT65. After doing this you klick at the "Update" button and all marked entries will be change to JT65.

B.t.w. 20 watts for JT65 is QROOOO ;) ;) When i used JT65 or JT9 (meanwhile back to CW only) my max power was 5 w with indoor antennas and i rock the world ;) ;) 20 w is not a problem but if you use "high" power and you have a "modern" Transceiver with power settings by menu please use the 100w option and drop the power down by audio level of the soundcard. If you do this you have always a fine ALC and not a wide signal ;)
73´s .. Juergen ... ALT-512 SDR (10W) , 50 m random wire at SG-211 autotuner, 2 x Xiegu G90 (20W HF TRX) one as portable Radio. Also TS-790E (40 W) for VHF/UHF with X-50 vertical and Duoband 4-Element LPDA.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

I think your postscript and Jeurgens response answer your questions, if not please let us know
73 Terry G4POP
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

DF5WW wrote:Hi Doug,

for JT65/JT9 i use WSJT-X from K1JT togehther with JT-AlertX. That software logs correctly (JT65 and JT9 without extensions). LotW is using only JT65/JT9 and if you have JT65A ot JT9-1 in the log i would´t be confirmed. To change older JT65A enties go to the QSO Manager, then check "Enable updates", in "Search Parameters" you select Mode and let serch for MODE equals JT65A .... Now you mark all QSO and go to "Field Update". Select Mode and write JT65. After doing this you klick at the "Update" button and all marked entries will be change to JT65.

B.t.w. 20 watts for JT65 is QROOOO ;) ;) When i used JT65 or JT9 (meanwhile back to CW only) my max power was 5 w with indoor antennas and i rock the world ;) ;) 20 w is not a problem but if you use "high" power and you have a "modern" Transceiver with power settings by menu please use the 100w option and drop the power down by audio level of the soundcard. If you do this you have always a fine ALC and not a wide signal ;)
Thank you Juergen for your comments. I have given WSJT-X a try and like it! I was not aware that there was the "X" version designed for HF. It does decode better (actually much better) than the other versions of JT65-HF, and it handles JT9 in addition. I will open a new Subject on WSJT-X as I have some questions about it.

And thanks for the explanation on why JT65A was not being recognized. I changed all the JT65A's in my log to JT65 and have no more problems.

On power used, yes, I do have the rig at full power and throttle back with the audio gain. Normally 20 watts, or less if its a strong signal I am receiving. And yes, amazing results with low power, but sometimes you have to use more when you are trying to get through QRM and other stations calling the same DX station.

Thanks again!

Doug
W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA