POTA not storing in REF if activator in different country

NZ5Y
Novice Class

POTA not storing in REF if activator in different country

Post by NZ5Y »

I worked a POTA activation that had two different activators. The park was in the US, and I added the first activator, who was a US callsign, by adding the parks to the Comment and it carried across fine to the Ref. I added the second QSO with the other operator, who was from Canada, and it did not populate the reference. So I went to the Awards tab and tried it there, and the K sites won't list, but it will bring up CA sites. So is it a rule somewhere in POTA that only activators from the country of the park activated are allowed? It's not a big deal since I'm not the activator so they'll send in the log, just a curiousity.

Steve NZ5Y
PC9DB
Advanced Class

Re: POTA not storing in REF if activator in different country

Post by PC9DB »

Did you try to log the Canadian station with his Canadian callsign without any added prefis/suffix?
If yes, then that's the problem.

It's not only mandatory for the right POTA references showing up in Log4OM to use ones callsign with the proper pre- or suffix when their abroad, it is also for general on air rules and regulations.

For example, if I was to activate a POTA here in the Netherlands, I can use my own call PC9DB and if you try to log me, the POTA references of the Netherlands show up in the list.
If I visit the US and I still use my callsign PC9DB without the right pre- or suffix, then still the Dutch POTA references show up.
When using W6/PC9DB or PC9DB/W6, then the US references show up in Log4OM.

So yes, it is a rule that the used callsign must represent the country where the park is at. You can't transmit from one country and claim your activating a park in another.
Hope this makes sense....... ;)
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Prefix for country identifier

Suffix is for /P, /M. /AM etc not to identify country of operation
73 Terry G4POP
N6VH
Old Man

Post by N6VH »

Unfortunately, some stations operate in a country other than their own without using proper identification, in particular on FTxx modes. For example, if I were to operate in British Columbia, I would be required to sign N6VH/VE7. By doing so, I couldn't send my grid square in my CQ message (not really a big deal IMHO). Those stations that don't include their portable id are doing so illegally, and could get in trouble with both countries.

Probably the only way to get Log4OM to log the POTA would be to add the correct portable id to the call. Of course, you won't get a match on LOTW, etc, but at least you would get the POTA logged.

Jim N6VH