DX Cluster : immediate QSY

I2BRT
Novice Class

DX Cluster : immediate QSY

Post by I2BRT »

HI!
I would like to suggest a modification or an improvement.

On DX Cluster : it would be nice to have the possibility of an immediate QSY on the indicated frequency with a right click or with a control+click or something like that.
Now this great software put the dx cluster callsign in the relative text box and then (in my case) start the lookup process which may take a considerable time without moving to the desidered QRG. Then I need to click again (sometime several clik) to swith to the new frequency.
This is not a problem of course but just an annoiance... IMHO it would be better to also have the possibility to quicly QSY to check if the station is workable and then add it to the callsign text box and start the lookup process.
I mean : it would be an alternative.
Other loggers are a lot faster in QSY once selected a station from Dx Cluster, I think it would be a nicer option to have the possibility to QSY and the lookup or QSY without any lookup at all.
Thank you for any possible consideration.

Best 73 de Rick I2BRT
73 de Rick I2BRT
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: DX Cluster : immediate QSY

Post by G4POP »

I dont see the need! the current opperation was decided on by the majority of users some time ago

Single left click - Form fills and generates a data lookup

Double left click - Does the same as a single click but ALSO changes the radio band, frequency and mode

No need for a second action like holding shift or Ctrl or a change to the other mouse button required, what could be simpler?
73 Terry G4POP
I2BRT
Novice Class

Post by I2BRT »

HI Terry.
I apologize if my english is not enough to be understandable. I think the need was expressed in my previous sentence.

AGAIN :
double click take a LOT of time
double click put the callsing as a working station which is not always desiderable
Just to mention : HRD logobook has a lot lot more faster click->qsy on dx cluster (and saying HRD its' faster say all)

Let me say that your reply is a little bit rude hi...
If majority of the user decide the way of working of this software then I don't see where this subsection of this forum may be useful (feature suggestion ... so what I'm doing wrong ?). If noo one need this than trash my suggestion.

Your software, your choise of course.
Best regards,
Rick.
73 de Rick I2BRT
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

I2BRT wrote: 14 Apr 2024, 13:17 HI Terry.
I apologize if my english is not enough to be understandable. I think the need was expressed in my previous sentence.

AGAIN :
double click take a LOT of time
double click put the callsing as a working station which is not always desiderable
Just to mention : HRD logobook has a lot lot more faster click->qsy on dx cluster (and saying HRD its' faster say all)

Let me say that your reply is a little bit rude hi...
If majority of the user decide the way of working of this software then I don't see where this subsection of this forum may be useful (feature suggestion ... so what I'm doing wrong ?). If noo one need this than trash my suggestion.

Your software, your choise of course.
Best regards,
Rick.

My message was not being rude I just could not see a need, appologies if I touched a nerve :D

Your further explanation, as I understand it! now makes it clear what your were suggesting was .....

1. Log4OM QSY double click speed is to slow for you!

This could be improved if you change the polling rate of either Omnirig or hamlib but a lot depends on the radio, how you have the CAT control configured (IE: perhaps using VSP or netwok remote) and of course your windows mouse settings.

I use an i7 PC with my radios and find the speed of QSY fine using Omnirig for normal radios and TCI for my SDR tranceivers.

I just tested the QSY speed with my i7 PC connected to an Icom IC7100 using a USB cable and Omnirig set with poll interval of 100 - Double clicking a cluster spot revealed

a. The QSY time logged was 5ms
b The QRZ lookup time logged was 2.5 seconds

I was still releasing the mouse button when I noticed the Icom radio change freq and mode! by the time my eyes flicked back to the monitor the lookup data was displayed.

2. What you are also suggesting is QSY, without inserting the call into the input field and not doing the lookup

That could be done and is something we can put on our list

No one is trashing your suggestions but we need to open out the discussions on the forum to get to the root request so no need for you to get up tight about it were just doing the normal exploration of ideas!
73 Terry G4POP
I2BRT
Novice Class

Post by I2BRT »

HI :)

>>1. Log4OM QSY double click speed is to slow for you!<<

Yes.
But this is a behaviour only with Log4OM, other softwares just do QSY (cat command to set VFO A QRG) and set MODE (cat command to set the mode)
My guess: Log4OM start adding callsign and then it needs to populate worked before, check award, lookup QRZ, add newer call to cluster, etc; those tasks require time (and double click is somehow lost or delayed)

I don not suspect this slow performance is due to hardware.
I'm on a dual Xeon E5-2680 @ 2.7 with a total of 16 core (32 virtual core due to the fact that I use hyperthread) with 32 GB of RAM and an Nvidia Quadro K5000 with 16 GB of dedicated Vram with 1536 Cuda cores. My internet is FTTH with 2.5 Gb/s technology.
It may be the route from Log4OM->OmniRig->Win4Yaesu, other software use a different architecture as HRD->IP->Win4Yaesu or Dxlab->vport->Win4Yaesu etc

>>2. What you are also suggesting is QSY, without inserting the call into the input field and not doing the lookup. That could be done and is something we can put on our list<<

IMHO that would be a useful option (and I guess will speedup a lot also item 1)

Many thanks. Best regards.
73 de Rick I2BRT
73 de Rick I2BRT
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

It may be the route from Log4OM->OmniRig->Win4Yaesu, other software use a different architecture as HRD->IP->Win4Yaesu or Dxlab->vport->Win4Yaesu etc
This is probably the reason your seeing a difference, because the ip connection to Win4Yaesu is going to be faster than Omnirig, and possibly the same applies to the DXLabs VPort.

Feature suggestion listed
73 Terry G4POP
I2BRT
Novice Class

Post by I2BRT »

I'll do more test (bypassing win4yaesu and going directly with Omnirig to RTX).

A video recording is difficult to understand because you wont see exactly the mouse click and the moment has been clicked.

However this is a recording done right now with the old (once beloved) HRD :
https://youtu.be/uRuqaCkekwU?si=Tq7LCuavc8wmnvf9
This is really fast !

This is a recording done right now with the new and loved L4OM :
https://youtu.be/Z1Sgt97QAHc?si=UK530DgkTWIZBFRj
Difficult to understand but it's slow and worst if I add on incoming dxcluster also skimmer sposts or after many spost are received during an hour (recording was started once I start running L4OM)
Also if I have a separated Cluster form with some filter on it, then it's worst

For any possible future consideration or thoughts...
Kind regards,
Rick I2BRT
73 de Rick I2BRT
I2BRT
Novice Class

Post by I2BRT »

HI !

One more test done.

If I use "Memory reminder" where I ave some preset and I click on any of the memorized QRG then QSY is immediate (really fast).
In the same conditions (same CAT, same ports, etc) if I click on the cluster then it takes 2 o 3 seconds or sometime it never QSY so I have to click two or more times.

I think this is may be related to the number of spots coming, filters, compare with award or previous QSO, matching, qrz lookup, etc

This is a bit frustrating for me but certainly not essential although I think it could be improved or speeded up with a different type of click on the cluster.

Kind regards
Rick I2BRT
73 de Rick I2BRT